1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish digital home advantage promo question..

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by one028, Jun 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. one028

one028 New Member

Feb 29, 2004
    i understand that if i get the dha promo via dish network there is no commitment. why is it when i call local retailers in my area, they require i sign a year contract with them even if dish says there is no commitment. if they call themself dish network retailers, dont they have to follow the same promotion that dish is offering? im better off calling dish network to do the install.

2. MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    Yes, retailers do sell Dish Network promotions. But that is just the thing. Its a retailer. They are there own seperate business, trying to make money. Some retailer's do require 3rd party contracts. Some don't.

3. nova828

nova828 Legend

Mar 28, 2004
    Sears doesn't require a year commintment. All you do is buy a certificate for 49.99 and call a special 1-800 number on the back. Of course you get the 49.99 back on your first bill

4. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    Order directly from Dish if you don't want that committment from the local retailer. Dish can't possibly like this... They're advertising "no committment" but then a consumer approaches a Dish reseller and is told there IS a committment. Most people would consider this false advertising, but not on the retailer's part, on Dish's part.

I'm curious, did you ask them *why* they required a committment ?? I've read the reason(s) here before, but I want to know how they explained it.

5. MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    Well there is no commitment with dish itself. That doesnt include the retailer. A retailer can do what they within means regarding contracts.

6. drjake

drjake Legend

Jun 12, 2002
    The reason the retailer is having the customer sign a contract is that Dish charges the retailer back if the customer shuts off. The retailerr has costs for installation that it loses if the customer shuts off early. Some retailers eat it, some charge for the installation if the customer shuts off before a certain time and some require the customer to sign a contract.

7. Hall

Hall Icon

Mar 4, 2004
    That's what I was referring to in my post above.... I really question Dish's stance on this but if it's what they do, it's what they do.

Speaking from the consumer's side though, myself and others signed up with Dish and was big plus was the "no committment" part. If a retailer or installer tries to negate that benefit, well, I'll look elsewhere.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    It really is a contradiction on DISH's part they support a dealer having a 3rd party contract. They also tell the consumer no contract but require the dealer to sign an agreement with them allowing a charge back period on each customer of 360 days. We are supposed to find them "GOOD" customers and if the customer isn't a "GOOD" customer we are penalized. From the dealers standpoint you get a 522 receiver $299 an 811 receiver $399 and a 311 $99 plus installation $250.00 after 89 days you decide DISH is not your cup of tea and cancel. Your dealer is charged back $1,047 and has to go out and remove the used equipment and then get it cleared to be resold to another DHA customer. That is why dealers either won't sell DHA or require a 3rd party contract. Now if the seller is DISH Network who gets charged back only DISH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.