1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish & Direct tv--Any signal or Picture difference?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by spummerr, Jun 12, 2013.

1. spummerr

spummerr Mentor

May 1, 2004
    Wondering if either service has a better signal & picture? HD & Regular

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes, it's ... but sorry the question has been answered ad nauseum

1 person likes this.
  3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    DIRECTV's HD transmission is at a higher resolution than Dish's, so a better picture there. SD picture on DIRECTV is worse than Dish's.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Do you have any recent authoritative documentation to support these claims? You're wording suggests objective evidence exists.

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    this meaningless dispute coming each time newbie posted the question ... ughhh !

yes, there is 1440x1088 HiDef stream for all dish HD channels !
    it's their current HD STANDARD what will last forever (if you eat it in beginning when keep silence during a campaign when the fact discovered)

get SkyWalker box and TSReader and analyze stream ... ch 5710 would be your test bed

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Even if you have them setting side-by-side with identical displays, it will be difficult to tell the difference, because the human eye is more able to interpret detail in the vertical than in the horizontal.

Unless you have a ridiculously large display (>65") it doesn't matter.

That's why the argument goes on ad infinitum, because people who think it should matter (video snobs) can't make it matter to everyone else.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    It was "HD-Lite" campaign ..

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While D*'s HD is technically better, to the eye most don't see enough difference to matter. And frankly that is all that matters.

D*'s SD OTOH is absolutely horrid in comparison to almost any other SD regardless of other source. Unwatcheable.

E*'s SD is very good, on most channels it is nearly DVD quality.

As you can see in my sig, I have a 73" DLP set, before that I had a 54" Panasonic plasma and with both sets, the difference in HD is so minimal as to not exist.

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Sorry to rain on your parade, but it's pretty much not that close as you wish, just two numbers ( man! how many times I should post it ?!)
    rare streams are 540x480 ~1.5 Mbps is it nearly DVD ?! regularly : 354x480 1 Mbps - is it nearly DVD ?!!

1 person likes this.
  10. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    When I had Dish for 3 years 2007-2010 the PQ was so small vs Directv that deciding a provider based on that, would be dumb!
    Even when we had cable 2011-2012 the HD PQ was good. Its not like looking at VHS vs DVD.

11. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Sounds like you have crappy equipment, Also no way does either company have DVD like SD PQ. Cable has the best IMO and I wouldn't even call that DVD quality.
    Directvs SD is far from unwatchable, sure its not the best, but gimmie a break!

12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    If Dish had DVD quality SD, I would have Dish , and never bother to subscribe to HD. 480p doesn't look that bad!

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    480p doesn't look that bad!

on a CRT TV that is!

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Thanks for the techhie viewpoint, I look with my now great eyes after cataract surgery, at my 73" DLP 3D set, and my 24" PS3 3D display and they both tell my eyes that maybe it isn't 'dvd quality' but it is close enough to the viewer that the differences are slight. That said, it is not the same on all channels.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Lessee.... I have a 6 month old Mitsi 73" 3D DLP display and a 24" PS3 3D display and now I have great eyes after cataract surgery, all of them tell me that I'm right.

As for cable SD, well I can tell you from experience with Mediacom around here, their SD is horrid but better than D*s.

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Well there you have it!

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Have what?

Unless you've had cataract surgery, you cannot imagine the huge improvement in vision. My eyes test now at 20/30 which has never been the case for me my entire life. And the brightness and vivid colors are just amazing! It's like getting a new set of eyes! :)

18. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I got a few years before I'll need that done. At 35 years old I have 20/20 vision. I've had better vision when I was younger as well I had a 20/10 vision at 22 years old. I'm/was one of the lucky ones! But my dreams of flying were cut short By a blood pressure issue, So I went into construction. And ist slowly getting much harder on the eyes.

19. spummerr

spummerr Mentor

May 1, 2004
    I have a 100" screen with a Sony 1272 crt projector. That's why I'm asking.

Direct tv looks great now, In HD 1080I) & SD,
    just wondering if I switched to Dish if there would be any noticable changes

Dish has some great pricing right now compared to Direct tv

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    HD is good (with some bizzares of the picture during fast changing scene and big full-screen explosions) if you're not that picky as Mr.Silva :)