1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish dvr question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by parmar37, Apr 12, 2010.

1. parmar37

parmar37 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    I want to upgrade to a dish dvr and i want to buy it from ebay, not from dish network, i called up dish network they said that i cannot buy it from a third party, i have to buy it from them and they would have to come to my house to install it, IS THIS TRUE. If i buy a dvr from ebay will i be able to get it activated. By the way i need it for my parents they have the international channels.

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    That's bull. All you need to worry about is getting the R00 number first before bidding and have Dish verify it can be transferred to the account. If your parents have a duo-TV receiver and go to a duo-TV DVR, it's a simple swap. If they are going from a solo to a duo, you might want a tech out. With the Service Plan, that's a $15 charge.

3. knot

knot Mentor

Feb 4, 2010
    I agree. I recently switched from a solo to a duo receiver that i purchased off ebay. Dish swapped them on my account with no problem.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A couple of warnings, though:

- Be sure the receiver is OWNED and not leased. Dish will not let you activate a receiver that is leased to someone else, period.

- Be sure the receiver is not tied to an account with an outstanding balance, or you won't be able to activate it until the balance is paid.

Get the R00 number of the receiver and call Dish to verify BEFORE you buy.