1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish gave me Starz as a thank you!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dbconsultant, Feb 21, 2011.

1. dbconsultant

dbconsultant Hall Of Fame

Sep 13, 2005
    Temecula, CA
    Well, this was interesting.

I was having problems with my 622 dish receiver - the svideo would only output black & white pictures to our dvd recorder (tried with several different cables, etc.; color would only be there for a little while after hard reboot then you could actually watch the color fade to nothing). Once I verified that it was the 622 and not the dvd recorder, I called Dish.

Not only did they not ask me to pay for shipping & handling but the next day, we received an email thanking us for being long-time Dish customers and giving us Starz free for a year! We liked Starz in the past but hadn't had any movie packages for years so we're glad that they gave us this one. No strings were attached, no "additional two year commitment" or paperless, etc. Just simply, "Thank you, in appreciation of being a long-standing Dish customer, here's Starz for a year." They did not reference the trouble-call either. Now we just need to post a reminder on our calendar to drop it after a year. Until then, we've actually found a couple of movies to watch that we hadn't seen and have dvd-recorded them as well!

Could be a coincidence, I suppose, since they've never just given us a bonus like this before but kinda strange if it was.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Didn't everyone who doesn't have Starz get it free for a year from Dish?

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It should automatically drop at the end of the year.

4. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Shhhhhhh! :)

-- Roger

5. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Not me... I was moved from Absolute to AT200, got free Platinum, but only 3 months of Starz. I did get a letter saying all Dish subscibers would get free "premium movies", but didn't say how long or which station. I'd have rather had HBO.

6. flatus

flatus Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    just got this e-mail:
    i have not had any sort of interaction with dish, other than paying my bill.

Honestly, I do not want this at all. If starz was worthwhile to me I would subscribe to it. Is this some sort of scam where I will get a charge if i do not drop in time?

7. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    No. it is just as Dish says it is. A free gift to you in celebration of the 30 year anniversary. As stated in an earlier post, it will be removed automatically after 12 months. I and others would suggest a phone call or chat session at that time to make sure tho. You could also call our chat now to remove the free channels if you wish.

8. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    *enables tin foil hat mode*

9. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Dish isn't requiring you to watch Starz, they are offering it to it's customers as a free gift for a whole year as a thank you for the past 30 years. If you personally don't appreciate having the free offer, that's your business...just don't watch the channels.

10. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    STARZ and HBO are a great combination. I've been subscribing to them for ten years. Now thanks to Dish I've got STARZ free for a year.:)

11. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Sigma1914 Some people got Encore if they sub to AT 200 and below.

12. RASCAL01

RASCAL01 Godfather

Aug 1, 2006
    I just received this e-mail also...it's just a little late since have had STARZ since beginning of Feb.:nono2:

13. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Someone gives you something for nothing and it has to be a scam??

14. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    if dish doesn't give u something for free u bitch
    now dish gives u free Starz for free for 1 year and some of you still bitching:nono2::rolleyes:

15. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You begin to see why some CSR's aren't always helpful. Imagine dealing with a customer who just received a year of free HD movies channels, and complains....

16. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There are a lot of scams around that send you something "for free" and either send a bill later or sign you up for something that is not free that you need to cancel. Both my wife and I have been hit by these at work --- even though we're pretty good at saying NO to such offers (and making sure that no approval is ever granted when the scammers call). In both cases the scammers lost ... no payment.

In the past DISH would offer months of free content that needed to be canceled to avoid future billing. I believe they are still doing that with new customer offers (the free Showtime for three months and free DISH Platinum for three months deals). So it isn't out of the question that "free" programming would turn in to billed programming. I wouldn't call it a "scam" ... but some may.

In this case, the free Starz! or Encore or Platinum for a year gifts are specially noted on the bills and will drop off automatically next February.

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I think we should all agree to meet back here in February 2012 and see how this played out. :lol:

No disrespect intended.

18. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    In recent years I've always had premium channel 3 month freebies drop off with no charge.

19. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I had just the opposite experience - and I had even called to confirm I was not interested in extending beyond the free trial.

20. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    We were switched from Absolute to 200 and we got nada. We won't even watch SD channels and we are paying for bunches of them - for nothing. I would prefer a pick and pay approach if one were available. Would save a heck of a lot of bandwidth. I would prefer to pay a little more and get just HD. What a mess.