1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish GPS Location ID - Question

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by George Berz, Dec 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    I am going out on a limb here and making some guesses, let me know if I am right...

Id design a dish system with a built in GPS, This would

Encode the GPS signal with the unique reciever R00 number and come up with a scrambled verification code like a LOCATION ID that is dumped to authorize the unit and monthly or so verification checks etc.
    Give actual service locations to the provider for every unit.
    Prevent units from working outside say 100 to 500' circles of where they are supposed to be.

Wouldnt this be a great idea?

Sure would limit piracy and out of area reception!

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    I'd suspect that they don't want to pay GPS Hardware or Licensing software fees.

3. Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Besides indoors it might not work, and besides I read somewhere jammers can change locations.

4. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Great idea. Pass it on to E* and D* - no one here wants to go down that road.

Why not put a tracking tx on every IRD and zap it if it strays beyond a designated radius. POOF!!! :eek2:

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk, George. :wave: Why not post your location in the CP.

5. jmurphy644

jmurphy644 Cool Member

May 19, 2003
    GPS receivers really don't work inside, so you'd have to put a GPS antenna on the dish and feed the signal through. I'm sure that would be smooth process (not!). Besides, there are places where you can get a DBS signal but not enough of a GPS signal to get a fix. GPS can be finicky. I have seen good connections on an Iridium sat phone (which should be a lot pickier than GPS since Iridium uses LEO sats with a new one every few minutes) at spots where no GPS lock could be obtained.

6. tnsprin

tnsprin Hall Of Fame

Mar 15, 2003
    No problem with the new superdish GPS.

Actually they already can know where you are within a reasonably number of miles. Note the location ID on your system information screen.

7. clapple

clapple Godfather

Feb 11, 2003
    I don't know what, if anything, it would do for the piracy problem; but why would you care about people paying for and getting reception, outside the government (spelled NAB) mandated area. The DBS providers certainly don't care, as long as they are getting paid.

What a crappy idea!!!!
    :nono2:

8. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    tnsprin said: " Actually they already can know where you are within a reasonably number of miles. Note the location ID on your system information screen."

Huh? :eek2: You mean if I pick up my receiver and move it around, the location ID changes and they know where I am? What if I put it in the back of my SUV ?

The Location ID is a code for the installation address of record. :rolleyes:

9. MrAkai

MrAkai Legend

Aug 9, 2002
    Actually, from what I remember of past discussions, the location ID part of a "Secure-ID" type authentication system that dish uses to make people with more than 4 recievers on their accound run around the house and read them off. The goal is to prevent people from "adding" off-site recievers to their accounts. The theory is that if I have a reciever at another location I can't practically get it's location ID in a reasonable amount of time.

10. mbart0656

mbart0656 Cool Member

Feb 23, 2003
    GPS is L Band and Dish is Ku Band. The existing Dish is a pretty poor antenna in the L Band. As far as Iridium goes, that is an L Band system also but they are in polar orbits (also LEO as previously stated, about 780 km if memory serves me), The GPS constellation is a MEO system at 11,000 nautical miles and requires 3 sats for a good position, it would rather have 4 to 5.

11. freakmonkey

freakmonkey Banned User

Sep 11, 2003
    If dish had GPS I would have lost my locals a long time ago. I havent lived at my house for about 2 years now. Ever since I found out I could move to get distant nets.

12. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    The location ID code appears to be a randomly-generated series of characters, unrelated to anything. I notice that mine changes frequently. MrAkai's explanation is what I recall being the rationale for the code.

The GPS verification approach sounds like an excellent idea, but unfortunately it wouldn't have any benefit for existing equipment. Any company designing a new system would be wise to incorporate such a capability, though.

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Actually it was publish at other sites - the number is not random value, rather double hash of a sum of your receiver ID and current GMT date/hour.
    All the theories here is exercises of guessing of clueless ppl.

14. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    GPS hardware in the thousands, on chip can be only a few $$ heck gps is built into my boost phone i205 that costs $59 with no credit check and no activation, just walk out the door...

As for licencing software , the GPS system is owned and operatedby the us government and is a FREE service, it will give you numerical coordinates no chargeand no fancy software is needed.

15. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    GPS will not work indoors, but asignal could come down the rg6 from the dish, jammer yeah...

16. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    The more secure system you have the beter the programmers will feel you are protecting thier legitimate copyrights, go down that road? I dont understand.

Yes id like it to stop working, many people share accounts and this is what costs us ALL $$ in highte programming fees.

Thanks for the welcome, Fresno CA, Im still trying to figure this system out

17. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    GPS signal can be finicky, yes with a 1"x1" antenna, however gps also works under cars with a longer stick antenna for survellance, that pick up a reflected signal, imagine how good a signal would befrom a 20" parabolic dish.

18. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    Cool how do they get this location within a reasonable number of miles? you say?

19. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    You must think its ok to pirate .mp3's and movies on the net too...

20. George Berz

George Berz Cool Member

Dec 14, 2003
    If the code is for the address on record why encrypt a obvious piece of data?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.