1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Hopper Jumper

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tommiet, Oct 12, 2012.

1. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    Thinking about jumping to direct and one item I may miss with my Hopper is that I can view my local nas device and my windows server and watch videos I've ripped. Does the Genie alow anything like that?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    There is a list of Home Media Servers - check it and you'll have to play the ripped videos.

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    From what I have read on here the current iteration of Media Share (the function of the DirecTV receivers that allows you to play music/movie files) supports very few codecs. Some people have used programs (like TVersity and PlayOn I think) to transcode the files in realtime in order to get it to work, but have varying results. My gut is telling me you probably won't have much luck with this feature at this time. However, I believe a few people have said that DirecTV will eventually upgrade Media Share to gain more functionality, but there isn't a real timeline so I'm not sure you would want to rely on it.

Your best bet is probably to get something like a ROKU, or AppleTV and use them instead. They are relatively cheap and give you more options like Netflix, Hulu, etc.

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    and just BTW: dish giving for free Roku XD for ppl who want AMC channels what is removed form its lineup