1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish installed poorly, found out after warranty period

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by l8er, Oct 13, 2011.

1. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    So today there's not a cloud in the sky and I lost signal on 72.7. I go out in the yard to look at the dish and discover the pole is not set in concrete properly - there's like a 5 inch root ball at the base of the pole that moves and rotates so the pole is now moving in the wind. Without digging I'm guessing there's a handful of concrete there.

Dish says I had 60 days warranty at the time of installation. I moved here in May, 2011, but the pole and dish were already here.

My only options appear to be paying Dish $95, or finding a local retailer who can install the pole properly.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you asked DISH what they're willing to do?

3. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Yes - that's where I got "my only options appear to be". I got those options from a DIRT member here. Thanks.

4. RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network New Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Please send me a PM with your phone or account number and I will be happy to see what other options are available.

5. Skeeterman

Skeeterman Legend

Jun 24, 2003
    My suggestion is a lot cheaper than $95.00 dish installer, which may be the same person who did the original "botch up" job. Go to a lumber yard and buy you three cement blocks. The kind that has a hole in center, and a 80 lb. bag of concrete/gravel mix. The type that you can mix in a 5 gal pail. Do you have a shovel or spade? If so, remove the dish and pole by using the shovel/spade and dig the hole where you can install the three cement blocks. Dig the hole much larger than the original one, as you will need the hole size larger so you can set the three block side-by-side so the center block with hole will be the one you will put the pole in. NOTE: Remove the dish from the pole, and lay aside for now. Install the pole in the block center hole. Mix the concrete/gravel in a 5 gal. pail ..with water of course. You will need a level....one about 24" long to get a accurate reading on the pole leveling bit. You are going to put the concrete/gravel miz in and around the pole hole. When you have done this, fill the hole with the dirt you have removed. Pack the dirt over and around the block to get a good compact tightness.... Make sure the pole is still vertical...PLUMB it is called. NOTE: DO NOT install the dish antenna at this time. When the cement is dried/cured you can install the dish. But, you might need a wife/son/daughter or someone in the house to "yell" out when you get your picture back. You might have to move the antenna on the pole left or right to get your best signal.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    It really isn't that hard to straighten it and re-aim the dish. I'd sure give it a shot before paying $95

7. dudedish

dudedish New Member

Oct 13, 2011
    make sure if you reset the pole, no matter how you do it, you drive some self tapping screws into it so it won't spin once the cement sits for a while. I could be wrong here, but i think if you have the service plan having the pole reset should only cost you 15 dollars. I know my supervisors would expect me to reset that pole on a troublecall without charging any extra.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If the pole and dish were already there, did you tell the installer to use the existing pole mount? Was it solid when it was put in? If it was and something else changed, you cant really hold that installer responsible for someone else's shoddy workmanship.

9. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    So here are the options offered by Dish Network:
    1) Pay $95 for a service call.
    2) Find a retailer to fix the pole.
    3) Sign up for the service plan ($6/mo) and pay $15.

Here's why I'm not happy with all 3 - they say I had a 60 day warranty on the dish installation from the time of installation. The dish was here when I moved in, so that's seems a bit silly. If it's 60 days from the time my service was installed - was I really expected to dig up the ground around the pole to make sure it was installed properly within my first 60 days of service?

Dish Network has been good to me in the past, but this just doesn't seem right.

10. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I did not tell the installer to do anything. He told me the dish was already there. As to was it solid at the time? I don't know (although I doubt it) - and I didn't realize I was supposed to check it at the time to see if it was solid.

There is a level of trust involved with new service. It should not be up to me to determine if the previous installation was done as it should have been - that's something the installer should have determined when I got service at my current address.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    With a little help from Fester and Lurch, I'm sure you can straighten it.

12. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Actually I've got a call in to Larry, Darrell and Darrell. :)

13. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    A picture is worth a thousand words:
    [​IMG]

To the right are some wooden shims I put in to keep the whole thing from moving for the time being. And how about that cable install? Two elbows pointed up to collect rain, and not even buried.

14. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The 2 electrical sweeps are there to prevent string trimmers from damaging your cable not to collect rain that will evaporate out the open ends.
    Looking closer the 2 sweeps aren't connected so rainwater will just run out..:)

With 596 poste and a member since 2004 I would think you probably have enough experience to know if your system was correctly installed from May to Oct is definitely long enough to clear the installers responsibility.

15. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Why not just use a straight piece on both sides and not have the whole thing sitting at ground level?

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That one of many questions what you should ask that original and last installers. Not us. :confused:

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Seriously, if you get it leveled back up plumb so you have service, just mix a bag or two of concrete and pour around that whole setup, making a small pad about 2-3" thick and a foot or two square.

18. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    +1
    straight pipe is cheaper than sweeps but only the installer can tell you why.:)

19. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Typical mistake in the pole mount. It looks like the concrete is wider at the top than at the bottom. This allows frost to heave it out of the ground. Plus it looks like a poor cement mix, Look how it is cracking and crumbling. If you want a pole mount get a proper mason in to mount the pole being very careful to ensure it isn't tilted.

Proper method will have the concrete (Cement) wider at the bottom than at the top to help prevent heaving action by frost.

This may not be a issue where the OP is? I mention it for others information. If it were mine I'd do mine like the pictures I'm attaching. Pole in the inverted cone as someone said with a bolt thru it to prevent turning and for the other one put the pole pole where the wood is.

Attached Files:

20. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm going with the sweeps to protect the wiring. Since the wire comes out of the bottom at a 90% angle from upright the installer may have done that to protect against the pipe cutting the wire as it moves in the wind. Half way home there. It needs something on top to prevent wire chafing too.