1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish is at it again. Im done putting up with this crap

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by stvlg1, Aug 21, 2009.

1. stvlg1

stvlg1 New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    They decided they were going to find a way to screw us and did. The program access charge of last year is back but under a different alias. Its now called the Receiver Connection fee. $5.00 for each receiver. And before any of you say well just plug a phone line up, I have VOIP. And as most of you know, Analogs modems and internet don't mix. Well I have to say this is it for me, I will be looking elsewhere for my TV. Dish.. Sorry but your not the only show in town.

2. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I have Vonage and there are no problems with the 622 and 722k phone connection.

I kinda figured it would be a first post when I saw the crude subject line. :rolleyes:

3. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    And last...

Another case of sour grapes - thinking the rules didn't apply to him.

4. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    If you have a receiver with a ethernet connection port, you can use that instead of a phone line. My 622 hasn't been hooked to a phone line in years but I've had it connected via ethernet. They don't charge me the $5.

5. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    try digital phone

6. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Same with my 722. Not a big deal.

7. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I've never connected my 722 to a phone line, just to ethernet.

First post, only post!

8. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm thinking Dish is better off with him gone. Let him be some other providers problem!

9. stvlg1

stvlg1 New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    I have been with Dish for the past 10 years. I have dealt with billing problems and bad customer service pretty much the whole time. I stayed with them mainly out of loyalty. The question regarding why I don't just wire my router up to the TV. Well why should I have to go to all the trouble. I am not rewiring my house to supply my TV with an Internet feed. I am not planing on changing my phone service either. Its $10 bucks a month. For those that have VOIP and it works, I'm happy for ya. how much is your bill by the way..

10. Zellio

Zellio Icon

Mar 8, 2009
    If you guys think this is okay...

Would you like to buy my bridge in brooklyn?

11. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    1. If what you're saying is true, then your loyalty is misplaced. I got beat up for a long time by Comcast, left for Dish and am much happier, and have a cheaper bill to boot.

2. If your Dish box isn't working over VOIP, then your provider is doing something wrong. As long as the VOIP box is providing dial tone to the house, you should be fine. Was it installed incorrectly?

The phone line/internet connection requirement is certainly not new, and to throw a fit now saying that this is the straw that breaks your camel's back seems disingenuous at the very least.

12. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    The $5 additional outlet fee goes back at least 10 years where have you been it's nothing new?

13. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Dish receivers and VOIP work just fine. I done it.

Also, since you have VOIP, it's a good sign of having a broadband connection. So if you have ViP receivers, just hook them up to your broadband connection and you don't need the phone line.

Oh and if you setup Dishcomm correctly, only one receiver needs to be hooked up to the phone or broadband connection.

You have options, but it sounds like your more interested in venting then asking for options.

Complain all you want.... Dish is not the only one's that charge fees. Direct has fees, and so does Cable..... about the only why you can get out of fees it to put up those rabbit ears and enjoy your 4 network channels.

Good luck, may you find what your looking for elsewhere.

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I believe that's why most of us didn't offer any suggestions.

Or maybe a few more, depending on his location / OTA antenna setup...

15. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    If you are interested in being helped, there is a string you can put in for dialing out that resolves issues with VOIP servives that need assistance. If you just want to vent and scream thats cool too, keep on venting. If you want help, just post that you need the prefix string to resolve your VOIP issue. I don't need it for my Vonage, but there have been others that use this to fix thier issues.

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I live 15 miles from the White House and have a pretty good roof-top antenna. My neighbors and I can only receive two of the four majors OTA. :(

17. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    Wow nothing new here but I do smell a DTV fan boy!!!!:eek2:
    As we all know VOIP (Vonage) works just fine, I've been doing it for well over 10 years.

18. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    Aside from everything everyone else has said, saying it is back implies that it went away. It's been there the whole time, just changed names in February.

19. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I'm not sure where your confusion comes from, but Dish hasn't changed anything. When Dish first released their "Duo" (i.e., 2-TV receivers), they discounted the additional receiver fee for the TV2 *as long as the receiver was connected to a phone line.* That's been the case for well over 5 years already. Also, it should be noted that Dish is the only company to offer such a discount.

Dish hasn't broken any promises or done anything to "screw" you.

20. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    A simple solution to this issue. If you have a wireless router in your home. Add a wireless access point and connect it to the ethernet port of the DISH Receiver. This works fine for me. Only drawback, is that once in a while you have to reset the ethernet connection on the DISH Receiver.