1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH is dropping 2 channels

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by -, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Guest

According to the "other forum," the latest Dealer Chat stated that DISH is dropping:

1) ESPN Classic---due to 20% increase in price over the last 3 years.
    2) ABC Family---due to poor ratings.

2. Guest

I'll believe it when I see it. (or dont see it)

Steve

3. Guest

Nevermind, I guess there as good as gone right now.

My post at DBSForums
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Steve

4. Guest

Prediction: Dont be surprised to see Disney state to Dish that if they take off ABC Family or even ESPN Classics, they will not authorize Dish to carry ESPN and ESPN2. Imagine that: a DBS system that doesnt have ESPN. Well, if Charlie wants to get rid of sports on Dish, hes off to a good start.

Oh...if my memory serves me right, ABC Family will have some baseball games when its playoff time.

5. Guest

I will have to get a copy of the dealer chat from my friend (he tapes them and is a dealer) and perhaps we can hear exactly whats going on.

What 2 channels are they going to replace them with?

They had BETTER replace them with something or they will hear a huge uproar.

Scott

6. Guest

I assume that Charlie will continue this type of negotiating into a merger. The D* people better get used to it, like it or not, it is their future!!!

7. Guest

Dish is now beginning to sound like the cable company! :)

8. Guest

I think it's great that E* doesn't just roll over every time a station demands a price increase. Furthermore, I think that E* should review channel selections annually and drop low performers. With limited transponder space and limited money in my wallet, I'd rather not subsidize weak, high cost channels.

ABC Family has low ratings and there are numerous other family oriented programming choices at the AT50, AT100 and AT150 levels of service. ESPN Classic is a high cost channel and there are plenty of options for sports fans.

I used to really like TECH TV, but have noticed lots of reruns lately. And they've reformatted some shows to become somewhat like glorified infomercials. Ratings are down for them and maybe E* should consider dropping them.

Finally, if the DBS and cable outlets drop a few channels every now and again, it puts the pressure on these channels to get their ratings up.

9. Guest

My cable company just added six channels. :)