1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish LNB problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by slowgin, May 4, 2010.

1. May 4, 2010 #1 of 18
    slowgin

slowgin New Member

May 4, 2010
    We started getting 771 on some channels. I went up to the dish to look at it and saw that one of the LNB's has a crack in it from a woodpecker pecking on it. Could this be causing my problems or is the dish just out of alignment now from wind? Also if this cover being cracked could cause this can I buy a new LNB and where? I have the 5lnb AT9 dish.
    Pic included

Attached Files:

2. May 4, 2010 #2 of 18
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If water got inside, you have a problem. Since its an AT9, you could possibly get a free upgrade, or just try removing the plastic cover and sealing some plastic over it to keep moisture out.

3. May 4, 2010 #3 of 18
    jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    You really need to replace that LNB assembly. A possible source would be eBay. Personally, I'd try to get an upgrade to the AU9 Slimline dish from DirecTV.

4. May 4, 2010 #4 of 18
    brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb Legend

Oct 24, 2009
    basically either can be your prob. a 771 just means your reciver isnt getting a signal from the sat, that can occur when an lnb goes bad(or is damaged by a woodpecker) or if the dish is out of alignment aswell.

5. May 4, 2010 #5 of 18
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Do you have the protection plan? It could come in real handy if you have a lot of birds.

6. May 5, 2010 #6 of 18
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You need a service call, and the tech will replace your old AT9 dish with a nice new AU9 Slimline.

7. May 5, 2010 #7 of 18
    slowgin

slowgin New Member

May 4, 2010
    Thanks, I will open a ticket and see how it goes.

8. May 5, 2010 #8 of 18
    2dogz

2dogz Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    If a woodpecker was working on it, it thought there were bugs inside. And maybe there were.

9. May 5, 2010 #9 of 18
    slowgin

slowgin New Member

May 4, 2010
    The woodpeckers are not very smart, they are hammering holes all over my house, they cut holes in all of the motion sensor lights, and sit on top of the dish and hammer on that also, it is real loud inside the house. For some reason they just like my house. One day I will figure out how to get rid of them.

10. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    That was funnier than most of the jokes posted lately :D

Remember that Home Improvement where they had a woodpecker problem so they put that wooden owl on the roof?

11. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Did you notice any pixelation while the woodpecker was pecking?

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    I'd sign up for the protection plan, I bet they will target the new one.

I think you can sign up and use it right away now.

13. slowgin

slowgin New Member

May 4, 2010
    Glad I can amuse :lol:
    Yes, to bad wooden owl's don't work. But I do have my free 6am wake up call every morning, nothing like the sound of a woodpecker hammering on your dish first thing in the morning.

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Maybe a sound activated light and buzzer would help discourage the woodpecker.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Get a cat...

[​IMG]

16. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Heh heh you could isolate the LNB from the rest of the dish and rig up the LNB to a power outlet so when Woody lands on the LNB arm and sticks his pecker in the hole he will get a little surprise. :)

17. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    Actually, this time of year, he's most likely not looking for bugs. He's trying to find the best thing to "drum" on, to prove he's the best father candidate. LNB tapping probably didn't win him a lady. It couldn't have resonated very well.

Around here, they like to try the aluminum gutters. That's a sound that you don't like to hear early on a Saturday morning!

If that's his reason for pecking, it won't last too much longer, but it might return next year.

18. xmguy

xmguy New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    ROFL!! Sorry man. So funny. I remember the woodpecker episode of Home Improvement BTW. Maybe the woodpeckers don't like you watching the Food Network new series. "How to cook a Woodpecker" LOL