1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish makes modifications for it 86.5 new bird and includes Puerto Rico

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by neljtorres, Dec 31, 2008.

1. neljtorres

neljtorres Godfather

Jul 15, 2004
    Look what I found today! Includes Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Mexico:)

2. Aransay

Aransay Icon

Jun 19, 2006
    Grcias nej

lests e qhen we got a bird their and wich one

3. neljtorres

neljtorres Godfather

Jul 15, 2004
    You are Welcome!

4. Jan 1, 2009 #4 of 11
    darksuite

darksuite New Member

Dec 17, 2008
    que significa esto ?
    What's that mean ?

5. Jan 2, 2009 #5 of 11
    neljtorres

neljtorres Godfather

Jul 15, 2004
    You have to read the attachment!

6. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I wonder what kind of programkming they plan on carrying at this orbital location? I can see another modification to the 1000.4 dish on the horizion!

7. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    I don't think Dish is planning on using the 86.5 W slot in the U.S. at least not CONUS because the downlink footprint is very bad for the northern part of the U.S. because Dish had to avoid inteference with the Canadian DBS slots at 82 W and 91 W. This is just speculation but I believe Dish plans to use 86.5 W for Mexico in conjunction with the 77 W slot. By doing this not only will Dish expand its presents in Mexico but it will allow them to more easily obtain approval to have more spotbeam capacity on the QuetzSat-1 satellite for the U.S. that will be launched to 77 W to 2011. The satellite going to 86.5 W should be launched in about the same time frame as QuetzSat-1.

8. PTown

PTown Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Quoted from the attachment:

"EchoStar-86.5W will deliver 32 DBS channels from the 86.5°W.L. geostationary orbital
    position. A single North American shaped antenna beam is used to transmit DBS signals
    over all of CONUS, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and Mexico. Full frequency re-use is
    achieved by the use of dual circular polarization. Uplinks are provided from either of
    EchoStar’s two existing facilities: Cheyenne, WY and Gilbert, AZ."

"The main technical changes to the EchoStar-86.5W satellite are (a) the tailoring of the
    North American downlink beam to reduce the EIRP over Canadian territory"

9. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    And "The EchoStar-86.5W satellite uses the standard channel center frequencies and channel
    bandwidths prescribed in the ITU’s Region 2 BSS Plan.1 The difference is that the
    polarization of the channels is opposite to that in the Plan"

10. rocatman

rocatman Icon

Nov 27, 2003
    If you look on page 7 of the attachment from the first post in this thread you can see the downlink signal in most of Michigan including Detroit, the northern and western parts of New York, the upper third of Minnesota and Wisconsin and a good portion of New England will have terrible coverage requiring a dish quite larger than even a 1000.4 for adequate signal. If you looked at the filing for the E-5 satellite at 129 W, I am sure it mentions CONUS as well but we all know the problems with 129 W in parts of the country including areas that have a reasonable line of sight.

11. PTown

PTown Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    Oh yeah I saw that too. I'm not disagreeing, just found it interesting it's filed that way.
    I tend to believe the beams are not as tight as they display on the maps either.