1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH mass email says "Exclusive Offer! Free Upgrade to the HOPPER from DISH!"

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by pmjones, May 8, 2013.

1. May 8, 2013 #1 of 12
    pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    Body of email tells me ~

To say thank you for being a loyal DISH customer, we've reserved the most advanced Whole-Home HD DVR system, the Hopper®, just for you!

. . .BUT after talking to them, I find out this is the older Hopper they want me to upgrade to (I have the VIP922 right now). So, I get another $ 7 fee, no sling, and a weak wifi dongle (no powerline connector - would have to run Ethernet for decent streaming). Of course, a new 2-year contract comes with.

No thanks. Looks like DISH is trying to clear out the old Hoppers. Watch your Inbox if you didn't see this already.

2. May 8, 2013 #2 of 12
    tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Hmmm... My Sister in Law jumped at the deal and couldn't be happier, what would have cost money plus a contract prior she now got for free and Dish agreed to a one year contract. What you want is the latest greatest for free. We all probably do, but that's not how it usually works. She got notified of it over a month ago. And now she's in before the increase. Her family loves the set-up.
    If you are complaining about the $7 fee then you don't want either set-up probably?

3. May 8, 2013 #3 of 12
    Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    What's another $7 fee? I looked into one and was told my bill would not change at all.

4. May 8, 2013 #4 of 12
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you are coming from a 922 (like I also would be), then I see how that would seem like a step backwards if you use the Sling a lot on your 922... you would want to upgrade to the Hopper w/ Sling to keep that functionality intact. I could see where that would be disappointing in that scenario.

5. May 8, 2013 #5 of 12
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    My Hopper is connected using a pair of ethernet over powerline adapters. Nothing wrong with the old Hopper.

1 person likes this.
  6. May 9, 2013 #6 of 12
    puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    There is also the Hopper Internet Connector option as far as the connectivity goes.

7. 722921

722921 Legend

Jan 3, 2008
    I wish I had gotten this offer last December...could have saved about $100.

8. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I asked Dish about upgrading to 2 Hopper 2000s plus 3 Joeys, Dish said no upgrade charge.

Since I already had 2 Sling Adapters, I took the offer.

When the email confirmation came it said one Hopper 2000, one Hopper w/Sling, so I called to make sure there was still no charge for the H w/S and sure enough I got the Hopper1 + the Hopper2 and 3 Joeys for no upgrade charge.

Still learning all the quirks of the system, but everyone likes it.

9. CheriT @ DISH Network

CheriT @ DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    We would be more than happy to look into options for upgrading to the Hopper or Hopper with sling system! If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to send us a PM anytime!

10. Big Don 83

Big Don 83 New Member

May 14, 2013
    Flagstaff
    Are you sure the Hopper up grade is free

11. Reaper

Reaper Godfather

Jul 30, 2008
    I have the original Hopper with the Sling Adapter, and I'm pretty darned happy. The only thing I'm missing from the Hopper w/Sling, other than the better hardware specs, is the ability to copy recordings to my iPad. That would be a nice feature to have, but I wouldn't use it very often.

12. lenny

lenny Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 20, 2004
    I did a free upgrade to 1 Hopper with sling, 1 hopper, and 2 joeys a couple weeks ago and love it. I had 2 722k's, 1 622, and a couple non-DVR receivers.

We love it so far. It's weird going to receivers that only hookup to 1 TV when you're used to having the dual tuner/TV receivers but you can extend any of the hoppers or joeys with an RF Modulator. So I bought some of those to be able to watch on other TVs in the house. Although, those TVs have to watch the same thing as the hopper or joey it's connected too.

I love the prime time feature and being able to retrieve things out of the deleted folder. Also, I'm glad I don't have to keep moving recorded shows from one receiver to the other receiver with an external drive. Now you can access any show from any hopper or joey. That is really cool. Now the external drives are strictly for moving off content when you fill the drive which I haven't done yet.