1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish mounting options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tsduke, Jul 16, 2010.

1. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Is mounting the dish to the sill not an option? My mother was supposed to get installed today, but installer said the only option was to mount it on the roof. They wanted it mounted to the sill like the Dish 1000 they currently use is mounted.

They postponed the install.

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    The wind loading of mounting there has caused a ton of problems. DTV frowns on mounting it to the Facia boar as thery are not strong enough. Facia mounting also makes it more difficult for the outrigger supports whcih are required for dish stability.

3. netraa

netraa Godfather

Mar 27, 2007
    It is also an immediate QC failure on the technician and could, if inspected, result in him having to come back out and move the dish, and doing all the necessary items to bring the install up to spec for free, or, having another technician go out and replace the system on the first installers dime.

So, long story short, it should not happen, and even if the tech is willing to do it, you really don't want it there for stability reasons.

4. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Outrigger supports? Should my 5 lnb have that cuz it doesn't.

5. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    It all depends on when it was installed. All new installs should have them as the beam of the 99 and 103 are very tight and any slight wind movement will cause an LOS.

6. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Installed 11/1/2008.

Why does the time frame is was installed change the answer? Is there different versions of the 5 lnb?

7. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    No, Early 5 LNB dishes were supposed to have them, but a lot of installers didn't install them. Because of call backs for reallignment, DTV is now being stricter on having them installed.

8. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    It's not the dish/lnb thats different. It's the addition of two monopoles as we like to call them. Older Ka/Ku's didn't have the monopoles to prevent wobbling in windy conditions. They really do make a big difference. However a lot of techs forget to tighten down the bolts at the foot of the monopole which leaves a little bit of wobble.

[​IMG]

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I installed my first Ka/Ku "sidecar" dish in early 2006, and monopoles were supplied and required even then. But, yes, a lot of techs just didn't install them (more work), especially retailer-sold jobs (but also some in-house techs and contractors). Not having two monopoles installed has been an instant QC fail since the beginning.