1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Muzak channels stink.

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by reddice, Jan 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddice

reddice Guest

There music selection is not that great. I'm into a varity of music and I can't believe how bad some of the music is. I get my music fix from Raido@Netscape and subscribe to XM Radio mainly, well anyway the problem is that Dish uses Muzak while DirecTV uses MusicChoice for there music channels which offeres a much better selection of rotation with their music. Some of the commercial-free music channels on Dish Network are awful. I've long been convinced that Muzak Dish Network has someone cruise the garage sale circuit and pawn shops buying up reject & 50 cent CDs, and then loads them in Sony 200 disc CD players for their music channels. The mono channels which are part of the Top 150 package were orginally designed by Muzak for businesses to use, the dumb music you hear playing over a department store loudspeaker. And to make matters worse MusicChoice also displays the info on your screen much better. Muzak Dish Network displays the Title, Artist, CD and Label with the annoying text scrolling up and down on your screen while DirecTV MusicChoice shows you the album art cover and usefull facts about whats playing. I just think MusicChoice has a better layout on how they interact with there channels. Dish should dump the loser Muzak service for better music channels.

2. Doug E

Doug E Legend

Jul 6, 2002
    reddice, I could not agree more. There is no contest between Music Choice and the Muzak crap. To make things worse, DISH then plays some of the same channels on both the mono and CD channels (no drop in sub price however). I listen to my XM and sometimes the DX music channels that are on my BUD. DISH should really consider changing to DX. Muzak is a total waste of bandwith.

3. boba

boba Guest

If you think Music Choice is so much better why don't you subscribe to DirecTV. If you want to complain to somebody that might be able to control DISH send an email to ceo@echostar.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The thing I don't like about Muzak is the censorship. I mainly listen to Power Rock and Modern Rock Alternative and I don't like the brief pauses. I can accept it from FM radio, because the FCC doesn't allow certain words on radio, but I don't like having them cut out on Muzak. MC is uncensored but allows you to locked out music channels because of language. Plus Music Choice has an all metal channel.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I used to have DirecTV, and agree that Direct's Music Choice was far superior to Dish's Muzak.

6. adsman

adsman Mentor

Oct 24, 2002
    The music channels are a waste anyway....why not just drop them and reduce the price of service...

7. James_F

James_F Damn you woman! DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    I disagree, I use MC almost all the time. As far as reducing price, that aint going to happen even if they drop all the music channels. Music just doesn't cost that much in bandwidth or price.

8. reddice

reddice Guest

Well I first was going to go with Directv but I saw that Dish had more music channels however I was regreting getting Dish (I like the other channels just not the music) because what I found out was half of the channels were in mono and MC although less channels all in stereo and better quality when I went to a friends house that has DTV MC.

9. platinum

platinum Godfather/Supporter

Oct 28, 2002
    Maybe they're a waste to you, but there are many people who enjoy them, including myself.

10. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    IIRC, the mono audio channels are from Muzak. Maybe Muzak uses Dish to carry the channels to the commercial users and, as part of the agreement, Dish can offer them to end users.

I still wish Dish would carry YesterdayUSA.

11. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I listen to MC all the time. It was one of the key reasons I got satellite to begin with. It might sound corny, but it has introduced my kid to all kinds of genres of music that she never would have listened to on her own.

12. reddice

reddice Guest

Now I am not saying to get rid of them becuase they are people who listen to it however I think that when someone new looks at the Dish music channels they are deceived when they see all of the channels and they are not that great. I got Dish because of the programing channels and the music channels and I am happy with the programing I am reciving but I end up getting XM because of the crappy channels. I mean I do not like it when restaurants etc play that Muzak channels and I did not know that Dish had it to. If I only knew more about MC since Digital cable and Directv carry it but I did not know back then.

13. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    yes...Direct's music sounds Crispier also...better sound (besides the quality)...

And that Salsa de Merenque (or whatever it's called there) - plays great Latin music (salsa/merenque style, etc) - and the sound quality - it Rocks! - no comparison for example with quality of songs or sound of Dishnet's Latin Music/Music in general (audio only)

14. toomuchtv

toomuchtv Godfather

May 17, 2002
    I enjoy the music channels but also think Music Choice is better than MUZAK. Maybe they will consider changing when the contract comes up for renewal. I have emailed MUZAK & E* to complain / offer suggestions, no response however.

15. shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    Drop them??? Are you saying you can opt to NOT have them? How much does your bill go down then??? I have never heard of this...All I every hear is that Dish channels CANNOT be bought or deleted a-la-cart.

16. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Naw - lol - better keep 'em...
    Having 'em is better than having nothing anyhow :)

17. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    On D* you used to be able to order just the MC channels for $3/month.

18. Jammess

Jammess Guest

Here is a thought, check out Galaxie on BEV and SC.

19. Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Hehe - out of curiosity - why such a thought? :)
    BTW - Direct's Misic (audio only channels) are better then Galaxy one's as well....

20. Jammess

Jammess Guest

Why the thought? Oh, I don't know, I just have thoughts now and then. Seriously, I just like Galaxie because there seems to be a slightly better or maybe a different eclectic mix to the music than what I have heard on E or D. And if I had to choose between just E or D for music service then I would select D for sure. I also appreciate the great picture quality I see on BEV compared to the US providers especially E.
    J

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.