1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network® Announces Expansion Of Local HD Markets

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Stewart Vernon, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1 of 23
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    [​IMG]
    DISH Network[SIZE=-1]®[/SIZE] Announces Expansion Of Local HD Markets

Satellite Provider Now Offers HD Locals in 107 Markets Covering 84 Percent of U.S. Households

WHAT: DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), the digital television leader, today announced the addition of high definition local channels in six new markets.

WHERE: Boise, Idaho; Colorado Springs, Colo.; Harlingen-Weslaco-Brownsville-McAllen, Texas; Las Vegas, Nev.; Peoria, Ill.; and Reno, Nev.

WHEN: HD local channels became available to new and existing DISH Network® subscribers at approximately 5 p.m. ET on March 4, 2009.

HOW: DISH Network customers with an HD receiver and who subscribe to HD programming and HD locals will now receive high definition feeds of their broadcasts at no additional charge. For more information about DISH Network's HD offerings, please visit www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Full press release here.

SOURCE DISH Network Corporation
    http://www.dishnetwork.com
    Copyright (C) 2009 PR Newswire. All rights reserved

2. Mar 5, 2009 #2 of 23
    liverman

liverman New Member

Feb 16, 2008
    I found these Colorado Springs market channels in HD yesterday evening when I tuned in:
    KOAA (NBC) Ch. 5/5252
    KKTV (CBS) Ch. 11/5251
    KRDO (ABC) Ch. 13/5250
    KXRM (Fox) Ch. 21/5253

These are still carried only in SD are:
    KZCS (Azteca America Colorado) Ch. 23/9072
    KTSC (PBS) Ch. 8/9071
    KXTU (CW) CH. 9070

Note to others: Timers do not automatically change to the HD feed. You have to manually cvreate new timers that point to the new HD channels. And delete the old ones. A minor pain to bear to be able see your favorite broadcast shows in HD..

Greg

3. Mar 5, 2009 #3 of 23
    homeskillet

homeskillet Icon

Feb 3, 2004
    I also want to add that the ENTIRE Topeka, KS DMA launched in HD on Wednesday. CBS has been available since December, but ABC, NBC, and FOX were added yesterday (Eastern Arc Only) PBS is still not available.

4. Mar 6, 2009 #4 of 23
    david803sc

david803sc AllStar

Jun 22, 2006
    They also launched Charleston, SC HD Locals but they forgot to mention it on their release, LOL oh well.

David

5. Mar 6, 2009 #5 of 23
    Lincoln6Echo

Lincoln6Echo Godfather

Jul 11, 2007
    Dammit, where's the Cape G. - Paducah market??? It better be in th next batch, and soon.

6. Mar 6, 2009 #6 of 23
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Outstanding! Now my sister won't get Boise KBCI-TV 2 (CBS) in HD (owned by Fisher Communications in litigation with Dish). Guess I won't let her know about this as I heard enough last fall.

7. Mar 6, 2009 #7 of 23
    festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Still no Indy, still no Columbus. Both still "coming soon". That's what I tell my kid when he asks for something that he's not going to get in the near future. "Soon."

8. Mar 6, 2009 #8 of 23
    jeffdb27

jeffdb27 AllStar

Jul 13, 2007
    Does anyone know DISH's reasoning for adding a tiny DMA like Topeka, KS before adding Wichita? I don't know the spot beam coverage of the new satellite, but to me, this is ridiculous.

Jeff Burris
    Salina, Kansas

9. Mar 6, 2009 #9 of 23
    jimborst

jimborst Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    My guess, and this is only speculation, maybe Dish has more subscribers in the Topeka area, or maybe they have a good relationship with the stations there.

For example here in my market (Sioux City, IA DMA #149) Dish has had the locals for years, Directv has not even had them in SD, so if you want satellite here you'll probably have Dish. More subscribers for Dish so they look at the market and see how many subscribers they have in the area and decide to put them up in HD before some of the other markets. BTW they are uplinked but not available yet.

10. Rakar

Rakar New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Hmm I live in Las Vegas and I'm not getting any HD locals. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

11. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Equipment (VIP receiver) and proper dish to receive them.

12. Rakar

Rakar New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    I have a VIP622 and I'm able to get all of the other HD channels so I guess I have the right dish?

13. RoboDad

RoboDad Cool Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Why wouldn't she? If she lives in Boise or Meridian, all it takes is a Terk indoor antenna to get 95%+ signal on all of the OTA HD locals (I get 100% on KBCI-DT). I've been using one for almost three years without a hiccup.

The way I look at it, I have a much better scenario now than before, even with the dispute raging. With the other locals available over the dish, I only really NEED to use my OTA antenna to record CBS. I've already reprogrammed everything else to use the Dish broadcasts, and I don't see an appreciable difference in HD quality. The plus is that I no longer have to worry about conflicts (since all three tuners can be recording an HD local now, versus one before), and the recordings from the Dish broadcasts are substantially smaller than their OTA counterparts (My initial observations are that hour-long HD programs average slightly less than 3 GB from Dish, versus an average of about 6.5 GB for OTA.

Oh, and FWIW, KBCI-DT was not added anyway, probably due to the dispute. So at least we aren't being treated to 24/7 Charlie Chat in HD ;).

14. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I would say it's time to give Dish a call about it ?

15. Rakar

Rakar New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Haha yeah I guess I so

16. stanggt03

stanggt03 Mentor

Jun 13, 2006
    Ugh... They keep adding these smaller markets in my region.

Davenport/Quad Cities! Come on!

17. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    And you subscribe to SD Las Vegas locals?

They are lit up and working on our 722s and 622 out here in Pahrump.

18. Rakar

Rakar New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    Apparently, I am pointed at the 61.5 satellite when the HD locals are at 129 so now I have to have an installer put a new dish up. :(

19. lostman72

lostman72 Legend

Nov 28, 2005
    I wonder why dish is also dragging their feet with Fresno CA locals. I have two friends that have dish and my just dump them and go to DirecTV because of this? Has anyone heard when they will carrier Fresno?

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    She lives in McCall and would need an antenna so large and tall aircraft flying at 40,000 from Boston to Seattle would have to fly to the Arctic to maneuver around it.:D

She's just one more person to whom I recommended Dish only to find that Belligerent Cheap Charlie let subscribers down.:mad: