1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Network and Disney to kiss and makeup over Auto Hop

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Feb 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feb 7, 2014 #1 of 23
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Dish Network and Disney to kiss and makeup over Auto Hop

Dish Network may soon be free of the burden of at least one of the many legal entanglements concerning its controversial Auto Hop feature. According to Bloomberg news, unnamed sources have disclosed that Dish is close to a settlement with Disney over the issue, which could net Disney an extra half a billion dollars annually by 2015 thanks to higher re-transmission fees....

Full Story Here
    [​IMG]

2. Feb 7, 2014 #2 of 23
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The original story at Bloomberg right at this moment appears to be very incomplete and I hate "said to be close" language.

Dish and Disney have been in negotiations for some time to resolve a large number of issues, of which the Hopper dispute is only one and the retransmission of HD on the Disney channels is another. Even the Hopper issue is far more complex as Disney can only sign off for its owned-and-operated ABC broadcast stations unless it has some revenue sharing system with affiliates which have different owners.

Finally anything with Disney involves the Disney-owned ESPN group of channels.

On February 4, several news sources talked about the Disney-Dish negotiations such as this one Report: Disney and Dish Network close to carriage deal but this has been mistakenly reported before. It did, however, include the settlement of Hopper ad-skipping lawsuit as just one element.

When they put out a joint news release and Dish starts uplinking the Disney HD channels, I'll know some agreement has been reached which is being at least partly funded by the February rate increases.

3. Feb 7, 2014 #3 of 23
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless DISH extends autohop to cover channels other than the big four, Disney is sandbagging on the AutoHop issue. O&O stations can't be that large an issue in the Disney collective.

Even if it covered ESPN, most who watch ESPN do so on a much more "live" basis and I'd guess that they typically don't wait until the next day when AutoHop might apply.

4. Feb 7, 2014 #4 of 23
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    When they strike a deal Blockbuster movies will be gone from my account.

5. Feb 7, 2014 #5 of 23
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I just got my first/next bill that includes the already-known-about $5 increase... so I was thinking any day now we might hear good news about the Disney deal.

6. Feb 8, 2014 #6 of 23
    acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    So could this mean they could charge customers on the AutoHop feature as a option?
    Or is that just rumor spreading?

7. Feb 8, 2014 #7 of 23
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Wow extra $500 Million, Yea charlie sure knows how to strike deals. !rolling

No NY sports but at least you have Disney in HD with Auto hop. :rotfl: !rolling

8. Feb 8, 2014 #8 of 23
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Other than to make a snarky comment, why would you think Disney in HD would have AutoHop?

9. Feb 8, 2014 #9 of 23
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Because Disney is all about money, and an Extra half Billion per year is enough to look the other way!

Sorry but you already have Disney, you would think Charlie would be more concerned to strike a deal with something they don't have at with that 500 Million.

10. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Unless Disney HD goes on local channels, it ain't getting autohopped! :)

But yeah, in the end all these contracts are all about the benjamins.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    All of this is rumor anyway, until a deal is announced... so I wouldn't take the $500 million or whatever too literally. Who knows whether that is high/low or even true at all.

Also... the Disney negotiation has little to do with New York sports. Also... Disney are national channels with national interests... it would make sense for everyone to pay for those channels... while the New York sports channels are primarily of interest in their market, so why should the whole country have to pay for those?

It's apples and oranges and one has nothing to do with the other... also, one deal has nothing to do with the other. If Dish could come to terms with those New York sports channels, they likely would have before now.

1 person likes this.
  12. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I guess what really bugs me is that the high priced Disney group, has to be paid for by all who subscribe to Dish. We are two adults in our 70's who never watch the actual Disney channels but have a strong interest in sports.

I would suspect that there are families who only watch the actual Disney channel with their kids and have no interest in sports.

I would suspect that Walt could possibly be turning over in his grave knowing how greedy the Disney group of channels has become.

I would like to see, but I know it would never happen, the option of having Disney, ESPN, or both and not have to pay for both when we never watch one or the other group of channels.

The latest price increase has arrived on my bill and it is up $7, not $5. This cost for Dish programming and hardware has become too expensive for me and I need to find a way to reduce my bill. The problem is we get hooked on the ability to get niche channels that are unavailable OTA and can't reduce the package we subscribe to without either me or my wife missing a favorite channel.

Also, I would miss having a separate receiver in the garage, one in the bedroom, and a second Hopper in the family room for ultimate backup in case one fails. I could remove the second Hopper from service as it is purchased but the extra receiver rate for a Hopper at the time was the same as a Joey and seemed low enough to be a workable option. Now I must remove it from service and try to figure out other ways to reduce our bill.
    I've been with Dish from the very beginning, and hate to leave after all these years but need to start looking into other sources to see if I can fulfill out viewing wishes without bankrupting us.
    I pay the bills here so the wife doesn't know how much TV costs anymore. If she knew what we are paying she would crucify me.

Rant over!

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'll be glad when the negotiations are over ... and at least status quo exists. DISH customers still have the channels to watch. If getting ABC to back away on autohop can be worked into the deal that would be good.

14. APB101

APB101 Icon

Sep 1, 2010
    Michigan
    I suspect Walt Disney would love it. Just like Sam Walton and his Walmart/Sam's Club. The feeling would be, "I can't believe me the business I started are now worth this much!"

Your marriage is your business, of course; but, since you presented a little about it, I will just say this: Perhaps what you wife would do, if she knew about the costs of subscribing to Dish Network, is accelerate the process of looking into the competition.

One thing to consider is this: If you threaten to leave your provider, for someone else, suddenly there will be possibilities with lowering your bill more to your liking.

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That sort of threat can work with other providers, but DISH does not operate with a profit margin high enough to give away the store when someone complains. Or at least appear to give away the store to the complainers.

16. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    I'm not into doing the threat thing. I just wish that it hadn't become so expensive to have TV in the house.
    BTW, distance makes it impossible to get OTA reliably and I wouldn't be happy with just local OTA anyway.

17. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well considering the Hopper comes with a $12 DVR fee as opposed to a $7 DVR fee for Dish's other DVR's I'd say Hopper customers are already paying extra for their autohop and other features of the receiver as well of course.

1 person likes this.
  18. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Unless you watch sports a multi disc subscription to Netflix will get you everything that's on tv just a little latter.

I have to admit if it where not for sports I'd have no provider.

Oh and 500 million could Simply be the price increase they want and have nothing to do with auto hop yet. You never know.

19. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Anyone who thinks Sam Walton would be happy that his company has ruined the basic structure of America and sold out to China just shocks me! I remember when they had on all there ads... Anything that was made in USA had a flag next to the price!...

If Wal-Mart went out of business tomorrow Id throw a party!!!

Just another corporation run wild and we support them with tax breaks and food stamps for there employees!

20. sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    As someone who never watches Disney nor sports, subsidizing this extortion does not please me one bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.