1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Drops CSN California - Channel Restored 2/3/11

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by forecheck, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Nov 24, 2010 #1 of 128
    forecheck

forecheck Legend

Jun 13, 2002
    No more Sharks or Sac Kings games for those in Northern California for now.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=544482

CSN's response from the article:

2. Nov 24, 2010 #2 of 128
    normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    If they ""lost" in arbitration, whether they initiated it or not, what does Dish get out of it? I would expect them to drop it.. They are not going to deliver a channel at a loss. Would you?

3. Nov 24, 2010 #3 of 128
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH's website on the matter is http://www.fairdealforyou.com/.

4. Nov 24, 2010 #4 of 128
    356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    So how does this work? Comcast Bay Area (the main stay of the SF Giants) is still functional at this time, Comcast SportsNet "Cally" the flag ship of the Oakland A's has one of those "Important Press Release" tags........ will all Comcast go away or just selected ones ? This stuff has become very BORING........

:icon_band

5. Nov 24, 2010 #5 of 128
    eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    Yeah it's become boring and getting very old. I happen to be a huge Sharks fan and this could be the last straw. If Dish forgets about us than I will have to finally FIRE Dish!

Geez I can't wait till companies like Dish, Comcast, and DTV become irrelevant and we buy our TV over the internet from who we want to.

6. Nov 24, 2010 #6 of 128
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    CSNBA is still up CSN California has been dropped from Dish. I wonder how many are going to switch or go to the pubs because of this.

7. Nov 24, 2010 #7 of 128
    calgary2800

calgary2800 Godfather

Aug 26, 2006
    Dish is a horrific provider of sports. Its about time the word gets out so real sports fan can have a place to go for the best.

8. Nov 24, 2010 #8 of 128
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Frickin' great. This is the 4th major issue this year. Everytime the California market starts picking up a bit of momentum, a programming dispute comes up and kills it. Most households have "sports people", and when we constantly hear about disputes with sports channels, those folks simply stay away from Dish, even if *their* sports aren't affected.

I know the issue is bigger than that, but it gets really, really old.

9. Nov 25, 2010 #9 of 128
    paja

paja Godfather

Oct 22, 2006
    Good point. It is not only the subs DISH loses during all these disputes, it is the people who they will never have a chance of getting as subs. Even subs who aren't rabid fans at least want access to their homes teams.

10. Nov 25, 2010 #10 of 128
    eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    Well I've left angry messages on this board before threatening to leave Dish over HD channels I want, but I never acted upon that.

This one is more serious to us. We've been with Dish since 97 and we are already doing our research for "Plan B".

One week Dish, you have one week to bring back CSN-CA!

Just curious, why did Dish decide not to abide by the arbitration decision that they asked for?

11. Nov 25, 2010 #11 of 128
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    Definetly and this not only affects Sharks fans but Kings fans as well and if it goes long enough A's fans so it is a MSG type dispute in away with multiple teams effected.

12. Nov 25, 2010 #12 of 128
    normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    If cost is no object, as it will cost you extra, more than likely to go elsewhere, the Dish technology you use to perhaps record your shows is expendable, then you may as well hurry up and leave..

Dish in the 10+ years I've been with them as been in negotiation for channels over and over again, and I think they've done their level best to control costs. But if all you care about is one single sports channel or a few... Time to move on I guess

As for the CA market, TV or otherwise, with the results of the recent election in that state, CA only has one direction to go, and thats further downhill.

13. Nov 25, 2010 #13 of 128
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Will there be enough bandwidth for that? And will cable internet providers go for that? I'm sure they would want you to subscribe to their TV service first before getting TV channels over the internet.

14. Nov 25, 2010 #14 of 128
    eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    Your right according to todays rules. Comcast has an exclusive deal with the Sharks and you need their sports channel to watch them.

However, who knows how all this will pan out in the next few years. Netflix, Hulu, and others want to provide content while the networks are are getting smart now to serve their own content online. Google, Apple, and Microsoft are certainly going to be players. Every device and TV coming with ethernet ports and "apps" to play internet content and then the whole mobile market.

If you've ever heard any of the podcasts with Leo Laporte on Twit.tv, he often refers to this as "we want to buy our bits wholesale" instead of retail from Dish or others. Leo believes it will be about 10 years for this market to pan out. I think it will still be ruled by the big corporations, but hopefully with more competition and maybe finally "a la carte". And bandwidth and compression technology is going crazy fast so I don't think that will be a problem. I'm getting twice the speed through my DSL twisted pair then I got a couple years ago for the same price.

15. Nov 25, 2010 #15 of 128
    cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006
    I understand that this arbitration isn't binding, but why go through the process, if you are just going to take your toys and go home if it doesn't go your way?

The only reason I can see is that they can show their subs that they are trying, even though by the outcome, they had no intention of doing so.

Also, what does this show future networks that they have disputes with? Dish has always released statements encouraging those networks they are in dispute with to stay on while negotiations proceed. Based on this stunt why would I, as a network, leave my product on Dish, who would drop it anyway if the negotiated terms don't suit them.:)

16. Nov 25, 2010 #16 of 128
    eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    Political, editorial, and off-topic:rolleyes:

17. Nov 25, 2010 #17 of 128
    cjrleimer

cjrleimer Godfather

Nov 16, 2004
    The thing that suprised me is it wasnt publiclly mentioned alot in the media. This was out of the blue I think.

18. Nov 25, 2010 #18 of 128
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I just Googled CSNBA and the A's and Sharks are on it.

19. Nov 25, 2010 #19 of 128
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Because it's not a big deal. It's a few sports games of some kind. No big whoop.

I for one am glad Dish is standing up to the tyrants trying to stuff their pockets at the expense of consumers. Good for Charlie!.

20. Nov 25, 2010 #20 of 128
    eudoxia

eudoxia AllStar

Apr 8, 2008
    Daly City, CA
    And Charlie is not a tyrant? Maybe he is, maybe not, but being a consumer and having choices is more important than blind loyalty to a company.