1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Network drops CSNNE, Celtics’ broadcast home

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1 of 13
    Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Dish Network drops CSNNE, Celtics’ broadcast home

(BostonGlobe.com) - Dish Network dropped Comcast SportsNet New England — the television home of the Celtics, as well as numerous other programs — Wednesday morning after ending negotiations on a carrier extension.

The contract expired June 30, but the sides agreed on a month-long extension through July and then two 24-hour extensions in August before Dish Network pulled the plug....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Aug 7, 2014 #2 of 13
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    "CSN New England offered Dish terms reflective of the economics accepted by the network’s other distributors ..."

Yeah, a double digit rate increase for a station with declining Celtics viewership.

3. Aug 7, 2014 #3 of 13
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    These RSNs just don't know when to stop.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #4 of 13
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    CSN NE went dark at 2am on Wednesday morning and the first we hear about it here is from a press release. Any viewers out there?

5. Aug 7, 2014 #5 of 13
    Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    When will the Dish deals with Comcast SportsNet Chicago, Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, and Comcast SportsNet California expire?

6. Aug 7, 2014 #6 of 13
    epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    This is what happens when a cable provider (Comcast) is also a content provider (CSNNE, etc.). Their greed knows no bounds.

7. Aug 8, 2014 #7 of 13
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I don't care.

8. Aug 8, 2014 #8 of 13
    nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    I am wondering when DISH, or DirecTV, have to deal with Comcast when they have to renew NBC TV stations and channels like USA, SyFy, Chiller, MSNBC, CNBC, Cloo (not on DIsh already), NBC Sports Network, Universal Sports, Universal HD, Telemundo, etc. It is one thing to play hard ball with RSNs, it is quiet another when they demand more for general channels.

Hopefully, the FCC is watching, before they allow other content provider and distributor mergers. But, as many have predicted, the greed factor is live and well.

9. Aug 8, 2014 #9 of 13
    zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    http://multichannel.com/news/policy/csn-california-returns-dish-after-10-week-absence/265371

It doesn't give a date, but back in 2011 CSN California was returned to Dish's lineup after an absence, and it mentions in the article that it terminated the pending arbitration for CSN Chicago, Mid Atlantic, and Bay Area. So it appeared that something was worked out back in 2011, not sure when it expires though. But since this article doesn't mention CSN New England anywhere, it definitely was negotiated separately.

10. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    The Bruins and Red Sox (on NESN) have always been worth more than the Celtics and Revolution - it wouldn't surprise me if Comcast thought they should get NESN-level money.

11. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I guess I lost this. Oh well, I don't recall that I've ever tuned in to the channel.

12. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007
    I guess this makes another argument against the proposed Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger.

2 people like this.
  13. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Comcast does not have to much pull with all of there RSN's.

One time CSN Chicago had 3 live games on at the same time and only directv and U-Verse had all 3 feeds in HD. Also CSN Chicago has the AT&T U-verse Lounge.

The teams in Chicago seem to have all the power and Comcast very little.