1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network HD Quality

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by applegbt, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Dec 27, 2015 #1 of 135
    applegbt

applegbt Cool Member

Jul 12, 2005
    So, I just recently finished a new home theater room in our new house. In my previous home I had a home theater room with a 104" diagonal in the 16:9 portion of the screen and an Epson 8350 projector. I had DirecTV and felt that the picture quality was absolutely outstanding.

Fast forward 2 years to present day, I've now finished my home theater room in a brand new house and the new screen is slightly bigger at 126" diagonal. I now have a Sony VPLHW40ES projector and decided to go with Dish Network for satellite tv instead of DirecTV. I hooked up the Hopper receiver to my system a couple days ago and was instantly depressed in seeing the picture quality. At first I was afraid the difference might be the projectors, or possibly the screen causing the artifacts I was seeing. But as I switched the input material between the Satellite TV, Netflix streaming, Xbox One, and Blu-ray dvd's I noticed that it was only the satellite TV that looked poor. Everything else was tack sharp. So, now I'm just trying to figure out if there is really a decrease in quality between DirecTV and Dish, or if perhaps my screen is just too large and is exposing the compression artifacts of satellite.

It's somewhat difficult to explain what i'm seeing in the picture, but I'll do my best. Overall the picture just looks soft. The hi-def detail that I was used to seeing is lost. In programming that has a lot of on-screen graphics (like sporting events) I can see what appears to be compression artifacts around the on screen logos, sports ticker, scoreboard graphic, etc.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. I love the Hopper interface and Dish in general, but what I'm experiencing picture wise is truly disappointing.

2. Dec 27, 2015 #2 of 135
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Dish is lower resolution than all those other sources (1440x1080 vs. 1920x1080). A gigantic screen like yours is also going to make compression artifacts very obvious.

FWIW, DirecTV, while technically better than Dish, has always looked soft to me as well. So even DirecTV isn't going to blow you away, IMO. My advice is to live with it until 4k is mainstream.

3. Dec 27, 2015 #3 of 135
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It should be illegal for Dish to call that garbage HD. It doesn't matter what size screen, Dish is awful. The other reply says why. But Directv isn't soft... It's sharp and looks great.

4. Dec 27, 2015 #4 of 135
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    First of all it isn't garbage, I've had Dish and Direct at the same time on the same tv and the difference between them on those 73" is noticeable, but not by enough to matter to me.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

5. Dec 27, 2015 #5 of 135
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    technically - anything at 720P or better is HD. What the OP should do is make sure their Hopper is set to output 1080i/p - the default is something like 480i/p. Do the same on their new display device. Between the 2 of them that should relieve most of the "softness", but as was stated - that big screen will tend to magnify that effect.

6. Dec 28, 2015 #6 of 135
    FarmerBob

FarmerBob Godfather

Nov 27, 2002
    I check every so often and right now DISH's picture quality is far less than antenna direct OTA. The OTA, not through the box, is brighter, crisper, richer in color and more depth. The DISH picture is darker and flat. Until this post came along I just thought my Samsung DLP, which I watch the most, with a brand new bulb was just aging. But when I switched over to OTA direct it was beautiful. This is the same with both my Samsung and Mitsubishi (Laser) DLP's.

When I first read this thread, I thought the same about the box being set up properly. But just now flipping back and forth on the set itself with everything in its proper place, the difference is quite noticeable. Oh and I have noticed that as you step down in outputs the quality gets worse and I mean bad. Whereas, my old 722 had a bit of a visible difference that I use to gripe about, but not this much. All the outputs were pretty close. Not so much with the HwS.

7. Dec 28, 2015 #7 of 135
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    You will need to adjust TV for Dish which does come in darker. Nothing you can do about the softness, it is what it is.

8. Dec 28, 2015 #8 of 135
    applegbt

applegbt Cool Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Yes the output resolution on the Hopper is fine. I'm not talking about standard definition level of softness here, it's more subtle than that. But still quite noticeable. My old home theater with DirecTV had a cheap DIY screen and still looked leaps and bounds better than what I'm seeing today with Dish. And just because the output quality is 720p or better, it doesn't mean Dish isn't overly compressing the source before it gets to your Hopper. Garbage in, garbage out.

9. Dec 28, 2015 #9 of 135
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Yet most that bother to comment about the difference between Dish and Direct in general say that the difference is fairly minimal. And that's been my experience too over the years. With rear projectors and plasma tvs, the difference is just not enough to make it part of deciding which service I will have. Direct's off my list because I just got tired of the slowness that creeps in on seemingly every DVR they make and I don't like the UI at all.

Currently I have cable w/Tivo and Dish w/Hopper and prefer both over Direct for differing reasons.

10. Dec 28, 2015 #10 of 135
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    I think its a little more than a minimal difference, on my 70" especially with sports (football) the distant camera when they zoom out for a pass downfield it looks grainy even SD quality on ESPN & ABC channels which is already lower resolution 720p. With Direct the quality is noticeably better and easier on your eyes.

11. Dec 28, 2015 #11 of 135
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If Dish looks that bad on your 70" then something is either wrong with your Hopper or you TV. My 73" showed little, but noticeable, difference when either a Hopper or Genie was running it.

12. Dec 29, 2015 #12 of 135
    camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    Compared to what? Theirs nothing wrong with my TV I have both services. You can't convince me they look the same especially watching sports like I described.

13. Dec 29, 2015 #13 of 135
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Comparing Genie to Hopper. Ther is a difference but no nearly as much as you describe to my eyes. I'm viewing a 73" DLP from around 9.5 feet away.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

14. Dec 29, 2015 #14 of 135
    bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    I have never had Direct, so I can't comment on their quality. If you are unhappy, then it may be worth the cost to dump Dish in favor of Direct. It's sad to look forward to something, only to be disappointed

15. Dec 30, 2015 #15 of 135
    Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    The reason Dish can get away with reducing horizontal resolution from 1920 to 1440 is that for the most part, the human eye is not as well suited to discerning horizontal resolution as it is vertical resolution.

Have you ever tried laying down with your eyes vertically matched to watch a TV show - it messes with your brain.

Most people will not be bothered with a little lower horizontal resolution even in a larger screen size.

A few others will be bothered and this is what we are seeing here.

16. Dec 30, 2015 #16 of 135
    david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    Also do not discount the fact that you went from 104 to 126 inches. That is a huge difference. Directv is sharper we're told, but their resolution is also not the same as BD either from what I have gathered. If you're not happy you should go back to Direct. No use suffering. If you jumped to Dish for the discounts shame on you as it is well established in internet lore that Direct has better PQ.

17. Dec 30, 2015 #17 of 135
    Willh

Willh Legend

Jan 1, 2009
    well, i too noticed that some channels in HD on Dish look worse then others, as the channels that look more grainy in HD, and this is cause Dish is upconverting these 720p broadcast channels. if you watched Fox Sports 1, or ESPN on a 1080p/1080i TV, then you would see it look more compressed and a lot of artifacts is more noticeable, but for a 1080p broadcast channel on Dish you would notice less artifacts, but more noticeable on local channels after seeing the OTA version of the local channels.

18. Dec 31, 2015 #18 of 135
    Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Good grief. A new house, a 126" screen driven by a $3000 projector just to watch football. Maybe I'm a bit jaded.
    I watch on a 32 inch screen from 3 feet and get a really great picture. Seems that ESPN distant shots of football is less 'great' than other scenes of various sorts. But count me as quite happy with my Hopper feeding the 32 inch Samsung TV.

Me and the cat are just happy to be alive! :grin:

I forgot to mention that this was typed on my old IBM keyboard, not form tapatalk or other mentioned divices so numerously by some folkes.

Oh sorry. Just in a grumpy mood today as it is too cold to go outside. Everything out there is in HD for sure!

1 person likes this.
  19. Dec 31, 2015 #19 of 135
    applegbt

applegbt Cool Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Grandude: Wow, not sure what I did to deserve that. But just so we're clear, I spent several decades of my life watching television on a screen that would fit inside a mini fridge and was damn happy to have it. But I'm not going to apologize for having a home theater now that I've reached a stage in my life that I have the means. And for what it's worth, it's not "just to watch football". That was just an example.

david_jr: Yes, I had the same thought so I zoomed the image back so that it was the same size as my old screen. While obviously not as pronounced, it still did not have the clean HD image that I was used to.

I'm not ruling out something else in my setup may be contributing to this. But trying to systematically test the components to see where the problem might lie, if not in the source. I just wanted to get some thoughts from those here who may have first hand experience in comparing the two services on a large display. Just to rule that out if possible. I don't consider myself to be overly sensitive to visual imperfections, I'm nearsighted as heck from spending years behind a computer. I don't typically see screendoor effect and other anomalies that I hear others complain about when reviewing projectors. Wish I could show everyone what I'm seeing, because I think all would agree that it is subpar...regardless of the cause.

Edit: Watching the Peach Bowl today and the picture is the worst that I've seen so far.

1 person likes this.
  20. Jan 2, 2016 #20 of 135
    Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Sorry that I responded to you that way. Guess I had just hit my tipping point. Seems as if just about every day or so someone says that Direct has a better picture than Dish and then the usual suspects pop in to say this is true and give a myriad of reasons why you should get Direct instead. I just get tired of hearing that story.
    I wish everyone could have a perfect picture on a perfect TV with no artifacts, etc. I have a very nice picture on very nice TVs and enjoy the sports, shows, and whatever. Normally I'm caught up in the fun of the game or show and don't notice that my picture isn't 100% perfect.
    Maybe in my next life, all will be perfect for everybody and there will be no more sour apples anywhere.
    Anyway, applegbt, I sincerely apologize for picking on you this time.

1 person likes this.