1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish network in canada

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by diesels12, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diesels12

diesels12 New Member

May 13, 2006
    I have a house and NY and also in Canada, Mont Tremblant Quebec. I am tired of paying for bell express vu and dishnetwork so I was wondering if I can bring my dish receiver up to Canada and point my express vu dish to a different satellite and get dish network in Canada? What satellite would I point to ?

thanks

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH 500 points at 110/119

3. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    First, there is the Canadian equivalent of the FCC to deal with. The Canadian Television Regulator Commission (CTRC) is not what you call a consumer friendly regulation agency to deal with. Therefore, you are wanting to do is effectively illegal in Canada. Second, from what I understand about ExpressVu it shares the same equipment and technology with DISH Network, so in theory your DISH Network receiver and ExpfressVu DISH will work. So, from a technical perspective it is possible.

Now, in the part of the Canada, or the United States for that matter, you are talking about, DISH is available on 110, 119, 62.5 and 72.7. 72.7 is known as the "eastern arch" and is effectively a replacement for 62.5), so you need a three LNB DISH which it capable of picking up satellite locations 72.7, 110, and 119. You may do better with a DISH 1000 (normally costs about $50) and use that in Canada to point your DISH. You may also be able to get your New York locals if the area of Quebec is in the same spot beam as your home New York State location.

Again, what you desire to do is illegal and subject to fines from the Canadian government. Have you looked into the portable DISH RV DISH capability? DISH has a program which allows one to have mobile dish's to receive satellite in one's RV. As you are talking about a vacation home in Quebec, you may be able to arrange something with DISH to make this perfectly legal. This may work, because a mobile dish is not a permanent installation.

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    nmetro - "Eastern Arc" is 61.5, 72.x and 77.x - (I'm not sure what the X's are) However, you get it via the 1000.4 dish

diesels12 - Besides the Canadian CRTC issues - your other problem is that Dish is not authorized to offer service in Canada.

Legalities aside - most of the "cable" channels shouldn't be a problem on the older satellites, but new Dish satellites are tighter fitting to US borders. Your New york locals are likely to be an issue, however. And you'll need to install your own Dish(es) for the Canadian site.

It's up to you, but you will likely have to be your own tech support.

5. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Unless someone can explain how this wouldn't be a violation of terms of service, this thread will be closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.