1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Network joins DirecTV and AT&T U-verse in declining CSN Houston’s free-view offer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Athlon646464, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Gold Members DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Dish Network joins DirecTV and AT&T U-verse in declining CSN Houston’s free-view offer

Dish Network said Friday it has declined an offer by Comcast SportsNet Houston that would have allowed to carry the channel free of charge through mid-December.

DirecTV and AT&T U-verse also have declined the offer made by CSN Houston, the Rockets-Astros-Comcast partnership that is available to about 40 percent of the Houston area’s 2.2 million TV households. The offer would have allowed fans to see about 20 Rockets games through Dec. 15 while carriers decided whether to agree to longer-term carriage agreements.

“It is Dish’s practice to refrain from offering programming unless a long-term agreement is in place; anything less falls short of our customer service commitment,” a spokeswoman for the company said.

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Heh. Wonder how many Xfinity ads would've been attached to that generous offer! :)

3. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Right, get the customers used to having it on the system and then when it gets pulled blame it on the cable/satellite company, not the RSN. It's a plan that is so transparent it's ridiculous

4. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    Well, CSN's ploy is obvious. But wouldn't Dish want to assess the popularity of the channel? Or do they already know the cost/benefit relationship and know what is involved.

Honestly, I can't see someone on Dish watching CSN for a few weeks and suddenly saying, "Gee, I never knew I wanted to watch the Rockets play before. I've gotta dump Dish so I can keep CSN." Fans go where their channels are.

5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Hey when Comcast wants to make a deal for Comcast Philly, they we'll talk about Houston. Until that take your free view and shove it!!

That's what I would Say LOL! :hurah:

6. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Dish can easily figure out the demand for the channel without having to add it. It's just a gimmick by CSN to put Dish, DirecTV, and AT&T in a position to be the bad guy when the negotiations fail.

1 person likes this.
  7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    That's close to exactly what would happen. It would not be so much people who would never watch CSN, but those who might or want to and once having it getting upset to why DISH can't just continue to carry it. Judging from the people who complain about not getting some of their games when while still under contract games get moved to another place and DISH has no agreement to now pay more for those games, OR, people who complain about some games being in SD, I would say there are people who are with DISH but still would like their RSN.

DISH has well demonstrated they calculate the value of channels. They dropped the NY RSN's and publically said the amount of subscribers there who would drop DISH over it was not enough to pay the high cost. Ditto AMC, again publically they said they felt the value of AMC was not that of some other channels AMC was comparing itself to.
    (As a side note, I might totally agree about AMC, because I think DISH somewhat overstated it, mostly over the lingering after effects of Voom.)

8. Chihuahua

Chihuahua Legend

Sep 8, 2007

9. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Cloo yes, G4 no. G4 will no longer exist and most have dropped it now. (Cloo isn't carried by Huskyvision or Charter either in my area)