1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network Named Official HD Sat TV Service for 2008 Democratic National Convention

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by James Long, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH Network® Named Official High Definition Satellite Television Service Provider For 2008 Democratic National Convention
    Dedicated Satellite Channel to Provide Gavel-to-Gavel Convention Coverage

DENVER – Continuing its efforts to bring communities across the country new and innovative ways to experience the Convention, the Democratic National Convention Committee (DNCC) today named Denver-based DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) as the Official High Definition Satellite Television Service Provider of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, to be held August 25-28 in Denver.

In that role, DISH Network will bring live satellite video feeds into the Convention hall from off-site locations across the country. DISH Network will also offer uninterrupted, unedited live satellite Convention coverage to approximately 13.79 million subscribers across country, available on DISH Network Ch. 211. In addition, DISH Network's video feed will be broadcast in HD on television monitors throughout Convention venues and will be made available via satellite to television stations for downlink across the country and around the world.

"When we set out to make this Convention more inclusive and accessible than ever before, we wanted to do more than get our message out – we wanted to bring the voices of American people into the process, and DISH Network will help us to do just that," said Brook Colangelo, Director of Technology for the DNCC. "Whether from inside the Convention hall, at watch parties in communities across the country, or from the comfort of their living room, DISH Network's technology and services will enhance the Convention experience for everyone who's tuning in."

"As a leader in digital television and high definition television, DISH Network is proud to be the Official High Definition Satellite Television Service Provider of the 2008 Democratic National Convention, and excited to assist in hosting a successful Convention here in our hometown," said Charlie Ergen, Chairman, CEO and President of DISH Network. "We are pleased to bring the many voices of Americans into the Convention live utilizing our industry-leading technology to provide end-to-end HD broadcasts."

DISH Network, the nation's third largest pay-TV provider, is headquartered in south Denver and contributed to bringing the DNCC to Colorado, as well as providing a variety of HD video and production services during the Convention, including industry-leading HD DVR technology.

http://dish.client.shareholder.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=327841

2. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A note from the Uplink Reports that channel 211 has been renamed DNC08 (instead of being an anti-satellite tax channel that was taken down on Wednesday). That is a SD channel. No "HD" version is obvious but DISH does have several HD channel slots available (TMP and TST channels) that could be used.

(Also note that while the convention is political we won't be getting into politics here at DBSTalk. The news here is that the feed will be available as stated above.)

3. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    So, at this point ch 211 will be availble in SD but, they will be providing an HD feed at the convention? Hopefully they light it up where we can all see that HD feed too.

4. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    So are they going to cover the republican convention too?

5. cornflakes

cornflakes Legend

Sep 30, 2005
    This is ironic considering I think Dish is quite conservative with all their religious programming and refusal to carry gay channels (Here TV and Logo)

6. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I nearly hit the delete button on this because we are NOT going to get into politics here ...
    But you should note that DirecTV has more religious channels as well as Logo.
    DISH had HereTV as a PPV channel for a while but it was dropped for other content.

I hope DISH can do the same for the RNC convention. Unfiltered access is nice ... less talking heads telling you what someone said and reducing hours to a soundbyte - which seems to happen on all news channels.

I don't see DISH choosing this convention over another nor any endorsement of candidate or party in their programming choices. An opportunity was presented or developed and now DISH customers get something special. Will the DNC be live and direct on DirecTV?

7. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I think DISH was named the "official" DBS provider primarily because of the location of this year's DNC. DISH is more tied into that area geographically than is DirecTV.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    This is totally consistent with Dish's "DISH Decision 08" interactive TV feature. I assume they will do the same for the Republican Convention if given the chance.

And good work with the monitoring efforts, James. Keep that "delete" button handy!

9. karlhenri

karlhenri Legend

Sep 25, 2007
    Well, strangely enough DirectV also has a huge presence in Colorado. They have a Denver Center and a broadcast center in Castlerock, Co which is suburban Denver and Liberty Media which owns 48% of DirecTV has its headquarters in Englewood, (which is also Denver), blocks away from Dish's headquarters.

:scratchin Makes you wonder whether Dish and DTV's main shareholders are not just a bunch of old time buddies who are just amazed at how we fight every day on this board on which's the best while they are making money. :icon_hug:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentpage.jsp?assetId=P1300109

http://www.libertymedia.com/ir/default.htm

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/about_us/company_profile/index.shtml

10. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    DISH has been established there then has DirecTV, and in a larger capacity.

11. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
  12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Don't read too much into this stuff. Charlie's just your average billionaire who wants "friends" everywhere. Consider this from this story from Time Magazine which would make you think he's a long-time McCain supporter:
    Again, this is totally consistent with Dish's "DISH Decision 08" interactive TV feature.

13. cweave02

cweave02 W4SKO

Oct 12, 2007
    Glad I have D*

14. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, Malone ranks only 553rd on the Forbes world's billionaires list as opposed to Ergen who ranks 87th. I have alot more in common with the 553rd highest billionare than the 87th.:rolleyes:

15. ahintz

ahintz Legend

Jan 14, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    While I am actually going to be at the Convention (work), I think this is a great idea. And I would hope that coverage like this would be made available to everyone (both cable and satellite) and for both conventions. Enough money, time, and energy is spent putting on these conventions that it would be great for those so interested to be able to see the full proceedings. And for everyone else, there are plenty of other channels :)

Now if only I could figure out a way to get this into the hotel where we'll be setup....

16. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    thanks for adding something constructive :rolleyes:

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Convention coverage on channel 211 runs from 5pm to 12:30am Eastern Monday through Thursday ... Thursday night (Friday morning) from 12:30am ongoing there is an interesting EPG name of "DISH SLATE" with the DNC description remaining.

No sign of a HD feed yet (but it is early).

On Monday, Sept 1st at 8pm the EPG returns to the "Stop Satellite Tax" information. :(
    (Hopefully that will change - although the RNC is on CSpan 210 from 3:30pm-11pm Eastern.)

18. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    9445 (mapped 211) is up and running in HD now!

19. blooker68

blooker68 AllStar

May 11, 2008
    Good PQ on night 1.

20. SE_Sooner

SE_Sooner AllStar

Aug 12, 2008
    How refreshing to watch an event without half the screen being taken up by what's now, what next, what's later. Not to mention the goofy ground floor meter on the left side of the sceen. What's that supposed to do for me? But don't forget Gavel to Gavel on the right side of the screen.

Bottom line - If you want to really watch the DNC uninterrupted, ch. 9445 seems the best bet. I agree with blooker68 PQ is very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.