1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network Offers Chance to Watch Mets, Save Money;Non-Baseball Fans Save Even More

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Chris Blount, Apr 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service has unveiled a plan allowing frustrated New York-area cable customers to save money while watching Mets baseball games.

Eligible customers in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and the Wilkes Barre, Pa., area who want to watch the Mets can subscribe to DISH Network for only $19.99 a month plus an extra $5 for Fox Sports Net New York and/or Madison Square Garden Network. That's a savings of $144 off the regular price over the course of a year.

DISH Network's Digital Home Advantage, which includes America's Top 60 programming package with local channels plus free installation and no hardware to buy, will cost $19.99 per month in the New York area. The plan, available through June 30, 2005, includes a one-year commitment and will appeal most to those who reject the high cost of cable and resent the extra fee for the YES Network.

DISH Network's AT 60 Plus programming package includes the channels carrying the Mets games, which are unavailable to many cable customers. The package gives DISH Network customers access to more than 90 Mets games. Additionally, subscribers will receive up to 33 Yankees games at no additional cost during the 2005 regular season on ESPN, FOX and WWOR-TV.

For more information on DISH Network, visit www.dishnetwork.com, call 1-800-333-DISH (3474), or contact your local DISH Network retailer. For downloadable, print quality images of DISH Network equipment, installations or the DISH Network logo, visit www.dishnetwork.com/content/aboutus/presskit/print/index.shtml.

About EchoStar

EchoStar Communications Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH) serves more than 11 million satellite TV customers through its DISH Network(TM), the fastest growing U.S. provider of advanced digital television services in the last five years. DISH Network offers hundreds of video and audio channels, Interactive TV, HDTV, sports and international programming, together with professional installation and 24-hour customer service. DISH Network ranks No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction among Cable/Satellite TV Subscribers by J.D. Power and Associates. Visit EchoStar's DISH Network at www.dishnetwork.com or call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).

Mark Cicero, 720-514-5065
    mark.cicero@echostar.com
    or
    Kelley Baca, 303-723-2012
    kelley.baca@echostar.com

SOURCE: EchoStar Communications Corporation

2. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    I have no stake in this one way or another, but I'm surprised they would take a swipe at YES. Can't see them even trying to negotiate with them anymore.

As for the Mets, here' s hoping that Dish will open up its pocketbook when its time to pay for the Mets new RSN next year. Be kinda wrong if they don't since you are courting those very customers at this time.

Also, there are customers in areas in NY, NJ, & Connecticut where E* didn't pony up for Mets coverage, like Watertown, NY. Watertown is a TW cable area and supposedly they've removed MSG and FSNY from there, but Dish doesn't offer Mets games in those areas. Are those folks not eligible and told they are out of luck?

Also, MSGN's official site on the Cablevision/TW feud, http://www.givebackmsg.com/index.jsp , doesn't list Dish as a way to get the Mets.

3. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Interesting.

After chasing all of these frustrated Mets fans, it would not be smart to pay the subscriber acquisition fees and equipment costs to sign them up, and then wait for the massive churn next year when the Mets are on a channel that E* might not get the rights to transmit.

I feel good about this as a Mets fan. It may only be a short term attempt to grab disgruntled cable subscribers, but it may also be a subtle signal that they plan on carrying the Mets channel. It all depends on how much the Mets brass decide to try and get for the channel....If they go for YES like numbers, we'll be stuck. If they are more reasonable, we might be OK. It will be intersting to see what will happen with MSG and Fox Sports. I have ZERO interest in the Knicks and Rangers, but don't see E* pulling the plug on them as they have just about every other FoxSports RSN, and there are a lot of hardcore Ranger fans in the NYC region.....

Actually, if I were Charlie I would just raise the rates for the people in the New York region to pay the difference. At this point, an extra $2-3 bucks a month wouldn't hurt if I got all of the local sports channels. I'm surprised E* has ceded the New York sports fans to D* for this long..........

4. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    I'm curious what E* is expecting to pay for YES. $1.93 was the subscriber rate that was agreed to in the Cablevision arbitration and to my knowledge, YES had to renegotiate all their other carriage agreements to get into line with that figure.

Personally, if YES had to renegotiate down to $1.93, I can't see where E* can expect a) to get YES any cheaper than that, or b) expect that it should be a-la-carte when all other providers around them provide the channel in an expanded basic package.

As for the Mets, it has to be a sign that E*is willing to pick up the Mets new RSN. But that comes with the caveat that it must be available to them. Time Warner made statements in the initial press releases about the channel that they would work on carriage agreements with other CABLE companies, and the word "satellite" was conspicuously absent from the releases.

EDIT: One note on the $1.93 price was that the most they could do were 4% yearly increases, so the price is going to go up every year. So in 2005 the rate they would likely be asking for would be $2 on the nose or $2.01.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    However the rest of the nation will still pay $31.99 for that plan.
    As if $12 (32% off of the full $36.99 AT60+ price) represents the difference between a service WITH YES and a service without YES. Deceptive?

The high cost of satellite will hit when those people run out the introductory offer or want AT120.

JL

6. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    First, they can't withhold it from satellite (unless they have a wired loophole like Philly). Second, the Mets would have to be NUTS to purposely ignore 25% of the market (and who tend to be more affluent and willing to pay for it)

7. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Yes, that is a crock. Once again, we existing subs get to subsidize yet another new customer promo and we get less as a result. Whoopppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    With the TW infrastructure likely growing from NYC all the way to the western end of the state, is it possible for them to create a statewide wired loop? I'm just asking and don't really know what infrastructure it would take to be feasible.

I do agree though that the Mets would be nuts to say no to DBS, but if TW gets its fifedom together, is it something they can afford to risk? I think that TW is actually using the NBA Bobcats C-SET as a trial run since that channel is on digital cable in Charlotte.

9. Jim in Upstate NY

Jim in Upstate NY Registered User

Apr 27, 2005
    :(

I'm a longtime (and long-suffering!) Mets fan in Central New York. I just signed up for Dish because of the promotion, and nowhere in the promotion did it mention that my ZIP would be completely blacked out of all MSG and FSNY Mets broadcasts. I assume that this is because my designated RSN is Pittsburgh instead of NYC.

I measured highway and linear distances between my ZIP (13035) and the following MLB cities: NYC, Toronto, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh. That list shows my results in order of linear distance (NYC is closest) - in driving distance, Toronto is the furthest away but the rest of the order is the same.

I feel cheated by Dish Network and Echostar; until about 16 hours ago I held them in high regard, and not just because of the promo used to lure me away from Time Warner. I have already talked with the customer accounts department at Dish and they have assured me I can get out of my contract because I'm still within the three-day grace period for cancellation.

So my question is twofold - why is Pittsburgh my RSN area (an option that I assume Dish controls) and what recourse do I have (other than reopening my account under a different ZIP code in metro NYC) to get FSNY/MSG as my designated RSN and have the games NOT be blacked out?

Many thanks in advance, I am looking forward to a positive resolution.

Thanks!

Jim in Cazenovia, NY

10. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    It is obvious from this promotion that Dish will be carryingf the new Mets RSN in 2006. That much is clear.

It is also a nice gesture to NY area baseball fans for the conspicuous absence of YES. (They might as well satisfy one group of fans, especially since they are superior to Yankee fans. But, I digress.)

One thing I have always given kudos for to Dish is their carriage of the Superstations, which includes WPIX home of about 50 or so Mets games per season. (Up until a couple of years ago, when the local teams switched stations, it included Mets games in LA and Denver on KTLA and KWGN. I've still got them on WGN and TBS for Mets games in Atlanta and Chicago, that aren't carried on the far superior WPIX.) I have never understood why D* doesn't provide this simple service, if it is allowed by law. They are basically turning away revenue.

I will miss WPIX after I switch to Comcast. I do expect to be back with Dish through SBC, once the MediaPortal is released. But, I expect 2005 baseball season will be over by then. That's OK though. In October, I can watch the Mets in the World Series in HD with DVR trick play.

Jim - What Dish did to you was BS. They should not be offereing this Mets promo in areas outside of the Mets broadcast market. But, it's typical of how they do things. Halfassed. Totally confused. Disorganized. They make it up as they go along, and don't appear to have a cohesive communication network within their own organization. (Or...disorganization, as it were.)

11. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    Jim, Dish must have previously assigned your area's primary RSN as the now-defunct Empire Sports Network. When Empire went under, they assigned everyone receiving Empire as a primary RSN a feed of FSN Pittsburgh called FSN Pittsburgh 2. Sadly you probably won't be able to see any of the pro sports on this channel either.

Obviously going back to TW won't help and Dish may not be able to help you because of the contracts they signed to carry regional sports networks. I know this may get a lot of grief here in this area of the forums because of this being a Dish Network forum, but I would consider looking at DirecTV. You will be able to get FSNY, MSG, and YES as part of their Total Choice package.

Simply put, you ARE in the Mets broadcast area and you should be receving these games. All of NY state is Mets (and Yankees) territory. And they should have told you up front before making a sale whether you fall into Dish Network's Mets territory (which sadly is not the same area as what MLB and DirecTV use).

12. Jim in Upstate NY

Apr 27, 2005
    Thanks, Matt. I had Dish a few years ago and yes, I was originally part of the ESN group (what a waste that was, too). I have always liked the "family" feel of Dish and I like their equipment, especially the two-TV DVR setup I just got from them. I used to like their support, too, but it seems that it's all been outsourced to India since both people I talked to were there. I had major language problems on both calls, and I'm an articulate and careful English speaker.

I guess the odds of convincing Dish to change their RSN configuration are zero, right? If that's the case, I guess I will have to look strongly at DirecTV. Thanks for the information - it's very interesting to hear that Dish is deliberately screwing their upstate New York customers (or at least that's how I interpret the fact that they chose to set up their RSN's differently even though they had a choice).

13. jmeluni

jmeluni Mentor

Apr 29, 2002
    Jim,

I'm in the Syracuse, NY area and was a Dish Network subscriber from 9/99 through 3/04 when I switched to Directv. I switched because I was just plain tired of waiting for Dish to add YES, and I couldn't get MSG or Fox NY in my area w/o the sports pack, because Empire was the RSN. I switched to Directv and now I get all three networks as my RSN and can enjoy all of the pro-sports offered on these channels.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not bashing Dish Network, they provide a supurb service, I just think they need to rework their RSN contracts. I'm sure you'll agree that it's ridiculous to offer Fox Pittsburgh as an RSN in any area of NY other than Buffalo and even then, that area should get all 4 networks. Since that probably won't happen soon, I think your only choice for pro-sports in your area is to switch providers.

14. Jim in Upstate NY

Apr 27, 2005
    Thank you! And yes, I agree it's preposterous to have FS Pittsburgh as the RSN. As I said, I'm sad about leaving Dish (even though I've only been a customer for two days) because I like the technology and the selection. But, I love the Mets (poor me) and that's the bottom line.

15. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004

WHO at DISH can we call about this situation? I tried a few months ago and got a few free months out of Dish but they insisted that they cannot change my RSN , they stuck me with Pittsburg even though Fox's website says my zip code is allocated to MSG. Surely someone made this decsion based on some weird logic, is there a VP we can call? Anyone have a name and telephone number?

16. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
  17. jrbdmb

jrbdmb Icon

Sep 5, 2002
    Dangerous assumption. Dish will have no problem dumping the Mets next year if they feel the new Mets RSN is asking too much money. If a deal had already been signed, I'm sure it would have been announced.

I'm waiting for the announcement next spring that all of NY State, and parts of CT / NJ / northeast PA will now have Fox Sports Pittsburgh 2 as their primary RSN (with all sports programming blacked out). :(

18. mattsarz

mattsarz AllStar

Jan 14, 2005
    The NY Times reported this morning that CVC and Time Warner have resolved their spat and returned FSNY and MSG to their systems in time for the Mets game last night.

19. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Hey, it's nice to see SOMEONE besides Charlie standing up to the programmers once in a while.......

20. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Plenty of companies do. The difference is that the others are able to resolve their differences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.