1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Network receiver affecting OTA with diplexer

Discussion in 'Technical Talk (Closed Forum)' started by dlclarkjr, Dec 15, 2003.

1. dlclarkjr

dlclarkjr New Member

May 3, 2003
    I had a 508 installed by my local Dish Network rep last year. The antenna runs into the basement through the preamp and back outside again where it's combined with the DSS signal using a diplexer. The signal is split just before the TV with another diplexer. I used to unplug the 508 and the OTA would come in perfect. I just had an 811 installed and it's the same problem. Local digital broadcasts are about 10% stronger simply by disconnecting the satellite cable from the back of the 811 or at the diplexer. As long as there is no DSS cable run to the 811, the OTA is strong. As soon as I hook it back up, there's a spark at the coax connector, and interference on the OTA.

Any ideas? If all else fails, I am going to bypass the diplexers and make a new run for the OTA.

Thanks, Don

2. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    RUN THE SEPERATE COAX. Diplexing is not the "best way" to deliver signal.

3. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Guest

4. Rocky Watson

Rocky Watson Mentor

Sep 3, 2003
    Your spark in the coax is the voltage going out of the receiver to the lnbs and switches it's normal and will always be there as for ota we don't have any ota signals to use in western kansas where we are at so we only diplex for backfeeding other tv's in the houses

rock