1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Network Summer Extravaganza

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Tecmo SB Guy, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy Legend

Sep 27, 2007
    I caught this on Channel 102 earlier and looked at the website:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/entertain/preview/

Epix, Indieplex, Retroplex, HDNet Movies, and MGM are all going to have free previews with SD feeds added.

I love movies and all I have is a 625.

My question is for those of you guys who have these 5 movie channels. Are the movies all unedited with nothing cut out?

Commercials are okay with me. ie. Hulu.com runs commercials in their movies but the movies are all unedited with the F word and nudity in it's glory. But I won't watch anything edited for content.

2. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Well I do not believe they are edited for content from what I've seen. OTOH Epix does do some editing to fit the screen.

It is done slickly tho. When I watched the Indiana Jones movies they started out with black bars top and bottom that slowly disappeared until the movie filled the HDTV Screen. I didn't even notice it until the end when the bars reappeared for the credits.

I have to say it was unobtrusive and didn't bother me. I'm glad to have the extra content.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The preview has begun. One must have 129 or 72 for the HD feeds, 119 or 72 for the SD feeds.

SD Channels ...
    387 RETRO - Retro TV
    388 INDIE - Indie Channel
    392 PLDIA - Paladia

HD Channels ...
    378 INDIE - Indie Channel
    379 RETRO - Retro TV
    9469 PLDIA (369 HD) - Paladia

4. Dish97

Dish97 AllStar

Dec 19, 2009
    Actually, you lose content without the "black bars". What is really distracting is the channel logo that interrupts the movie every 30 minutes! And the "plex" channels now cuts into the movie before the end to advertise up coming programs. :nono2:

5. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Do you have to have the platinum service to recieve this HD, or is it covered with HD for life? It is nice having a video channel again like MTV used to be.

6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    The more movie channels they get the better!

7. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Palladia is in Platinum.

8. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I do know you lose some content on the sides. However my point was that it was unobtrusive and took me a while to notice.

I'd much rather have that then stretch-o-vision. I'd rather have letter boxed than stretch-o-vision. I'd rather get poked in the eyes than watch stretch-o-vision.

9. Jul 1, 2010 #9 of 13
    Cable Lover

Cable Lover Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    You had me until the eye poking. :eek:

10. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I may have exaggerated just a little bit on the eyes thing, but I really can not stand to watch stretch-o-vision.

11. RJ Stiles

RJ Stiles New Member

Aug 1, 2010
    I've been looking around, but have not been able to find an answer to this question:

When Dish Network offers these free previews, are they watchable on a FTA receiver?
    There used to be some free channels (such as NASA) that were clear, but they have since encrypted, so I'm wondering if the same is true of the free previews.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No.

13. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    In our household - we would rather watch SD than HD stretch-o-vision.