1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network to premiere 'The Resident' Same Day It Hits Theaters

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by phrelin, Feb 14, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From a news release:

Hillary Swank Thriller Available Feb. 18 on DISH Cinema in HD

ENGLEWOOD, Colo., Feb. 14, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. customers will be among the first to enjoy "The Resident" — an edge-of-your-seat thriller starring Academy Award-winning actress Hillary Swank — from the comfort of their living rooms on the same day the movie premieres in theaters. DISH Network customers can purchase "The Resident" in HD for $5.99 and standard definition for $4.99.

"The Resident" features Hillary Swank as Juliet, a young, beautiful doctor who begins a new life after separating from her husband. Her stunning, spacious loft apartment in Brooklyn seems too good to be true and when mysterious occurrences lead her to believe she's not alone, Juliet discovers the unthinkable — someone is watching. The movie co-stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan ("Grey's Anatomy" and "Watchmen") and Christopher Lee ("Lord of the Rings" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory").

"DISH Cinema offers our customers the hottest Hollywood hits, and we're thrilled to deliver 'The Resident' in HD on the same day it's available in theaters," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "DISH Network is committed to giving our customers the best in-home movie experience. Not only do we offer movies simultaneously with the theatrical release, but also we give our customers access to a huge library of movies available 28 days before Netflix and redbox, as well as on the same day or prior to DVD release."

"The Resident" will be available on DISH Pay-Per-View in HD on Ch. 541 from Feb. 18-28 and in standard definition on Ch. 543 from Feb. 18-21 and Ch. 549 from Feb. 22-28. Call 1-877-DISH PPV (347-4778) or visit www.DishCinema.com to order.

2. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I'll wait for it to come to HBO or STARZ.

3. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Big whoop. Lessee, 2 movies on Dish, 12 movies from Redbox or unlimitied streaming plus as many blu-ray DVDs as I can mail back and forth in 30 days and each option costs me the same. Yeah, big whoop Dish.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I can't contemplate a situation where I'll use PPV for anything (like Paul Secic I subscribe to premium channels anyway, so what's the big rush), it still represents a level of offering greater than before for Dish Network. And 99% of the time, any option is better than sitting in a theater IMHO.

5. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    I would welcome more of this and think it's a fantastic option!

I will always see what I consider must see movies in a true theater, but would gladly pay what amounts to less than the cost of a single movie ticket to see a second tier movie on day one in my theater. I am more easily influenced by reviews than I should be, and will either avoid a movie right away or lose interest in seeing it if I wait for it to come out on video. I will never pay the cost of a regular PPV though. I only see this as a great option because I can see it the day of it's theatrical release.

6. DavidMi

DavidMi Legend

Aug 24, 2009
    Isn't it on hd net for FREE the same day as well?

I remember the last time they did this, this was the case.

7. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    I don't know how often HDNet does this, but I did catch All Good Things about a month ago this way.

8. epokopac

epokopac Godfather

Aug 8, 2007
    Lawrencevill...
    Not this month:

See Vanishing on 7th Street at home before it's in theatres. Available now On Demand, and don't miss the HDNet Movies Sneak Preview February 16th, 2011, at 8 PM ET, with encore presentations at 9:45 and 11 PM ET.

9. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    PPV is alright for some, which fine. Just not my thing:)

10. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    What happened to "FREE HD FOR LIFE"???? I missed the asterisk that says "DOES NOT APPLY TO PPV"... :mad:

11. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I'll use one of those freebees Dish gave to me.....

12. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Free HD stations in your package. Don't be obtuse.

13. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    you can't be serious...

14. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    :nono2:

15. clotter

clotter AllStar

Apr 12, 2008
    There it is

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I unfortunately saw Vanishing on 7th Street. While it isn't the worst movie I've seen, I can't imagine it actually showing up in many theaters. :(