1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Network video transport services

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by cr9c1, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cr9c1

cr9c1 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Does anyone know of a transport company, or if Dish themselves, will transport the local area channels via satellite for the rural companies that can't offer them because they don't have the ability to get the local channels because they are too far from the broadcast towers?

Any info on pricing? Receivers used, etc?

2. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Try searching for Distant Network Service. Maybe that is what you are trying to question about?

3. cr9c1

cr9c1 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    No, what I meant was this. I'll propose a scenario:

Local cable company wants to offer the local channels but can't get them via antenna because of the distance between the tower and the station.

Dish offers the locals on their satellite. Im looking for someone that can legally transport dish network's satellite signal to a commerical satellite receiver, such as a Scientific Atlanta PowerVu or a Motorola DSR 4400

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    So, the local cable company wants to take Dish's local feeds and put them out on their cable plant ?

They should be able to negotiate with the stations and Echostar to do this. As long as the stations agree, this shouldn't be a problem.

5. cr9c1

cr9c1 Cool Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Yeah, thats what I'm looking at, but I forgot the name of the company I heard of that can do that, and I believe its Turner Media broadcasting or something.

I was looking to see if anyone knew..

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It wouldn't be Turner ... E* has commercial services available but rebroadcasting through a public cable system is beyond what they have on the website (unless this is a community cable system - such as an apartment complex or nursing home). A city cable system would have to find the right contact at Echostar and negotiate something special.

7. Tower Guy

Tower Guy Godfather

Jul 27, 2005
    I have actually asked Echostar if they would do this. The answer is no. Their satellite license is a DBS license, not a common carrier license. It creates potential legal issues for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.