1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Network's Draco project brings programming to Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rickyisbell, Jan 16, 2009.

1. rickyisbell

rickyisbell Cool Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Look like DISH can do something that Direct TV failed at! Follow the link for more info about the new DISH to Windows Media Center project.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/01/16/dish-networks-draco-project-brings-programming-to-windows-media/

I am seriously thinking about dropping Direct TV. With this announcement and the new VIP 922, I think Dish is now leading the way in new technology in the satellite arena.

Ricky

2. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    Interesting a modified receiver. I wonder if this is just a DLNA streaming test or if it's an actual tuner. Either way, I want it!

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    As I mentioned in the engadget thread, DIRECDTV already has full DLNA compliance and can stream to any client that has the appropriate copy protection. :)

Now we just need more clients.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. TechIsCool

TechIsCool Cool Member

Jan 13, 2009
    So possibly if it DLNA for win 7 then both company's could stream and record content?

5. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Stream yes. Record might not. The content providers tend to restrict the ability to record content outside of the DVR.

6. TechIsCool

TechIsCool Cool Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I love mce but we are switching to D* becuase we lost local and there is no way to interface to mce then this come out :( oh well

7. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Tom, 2 things.
    1 in the link, it talks about Direct stopping development of its Media Center connector? Is that really true?
    2 NEVER make whatever bet you made, and have to have a Lion's logo for a Avatar EVER again.:lol:

8. TechIsCool

TechIsCool Cool Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Yes they did say they stoped deving it but rumors say they are waiting for windows 7

9. DustoMan

DustoMan Godfather

Jul 16, 2005
    So if it's fully DLNA compliant... then could you use a PS3 to see the content on the receiver since it also is fully DLNA compliant?

10. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes, but. The PS3 is fully compliant but does not have the optional (required in this case) DTCP copy protection part of DLNA. Once Sony puts that in, we're good to go.

11. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    The Media Center "Hardware", the HDPC20 has been stopped.
    As for a media center connector using DLNA, I don't know if DIRECTV is working on one or if they are relying on the marketplace to do that for them.

As for the avatar... well it was not a happy day in fantasy football... :(

12. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    Correct me if I am wrong Tom, isn't the above new E* gig the same as the DirecTV2PC?

13. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    Very close, especially if one uses the control that lets DIRECTV2PC be run from within Media Player/Center. :)

Looks like Dish will give more control to scheduling and watching live from within the app but DIRECTV very well might be working on those same features too. :)

14. jacmyoung

jacmyoung Hall Of Fame

Sep 8, 2006
    How to? Do you have a link? I had no idea. Thanks.

15. Tom Robertson

Nov 15, 2005
    An earlier discussion starting at this point: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1872309#post1872309

Sounds much like running various modules from media center, start the module then return to Media Center when the module finishes.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. CalypsoCowboy

CalypsoCowboy Cool Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Any news with Win 7 going to RTM?

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Windows 7 will be out on October 22nd. I'm just buying 1 gig of RAM to add to the 3 gigs I have and a full version of 7 home premium because my tech guy says you can't install over VISTA.

18. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
  19. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Crap. I *really* wanted this.

20. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...