1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish on Demand - free programs!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Michael P, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I just discovered free DOD titles on my 622. I previously thought that the free titles were only available with a broadband connection. When my router died I stopped checking out "All TV Shows". Just for fun I went in there today and discovered a list of programs available to watch instantly, even though my broadband connection is broken.

So that means besides the Dish Cinema titles there are also free programs available. BTW I'm watching one now.

2. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    Yeah I used to watch episodes of the Whitest Kids you Know through it on my unconnected 722k (its to far from my router and im to lazy to get its wifi running xD).

3. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I have always found free stuff, it's just easier to find now.

4. sliderbob

sliderbob Legend

Aug 9, 2007
    What would be great is every following day, they could have the major networks previous PrimeTime shows available-for those of us who do not have a hopper, but have a 622 or 722 dvr.

5. ZandarKoad

ZandarKoad Mentor

Oct 25, 2009
    So how does that work? Do they just have a satellite feed that saves stuff on the DVR in the background?

While we're on the topic, how many ON DEMAND shows are normally available with an Internet connection and how many without?

6. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Well that's how the Hopper works...

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Evidently these programs download in the background overnight (when the receiver is off, allowing the tuner to tune into one of the DOD feeds). I wonder what would happen if the receiver would be left on overnight?

8. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    If I remember correctly from my time working at Dish there were two types of VoD.
    Push VOD that is downloaded via sat over night and the kind you have to stream over a connection.
    AFAIK theres no way to tell before you actually start trying to watch it without having your receiver hooked up to the Dish.