1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish On-demand HD Picture Quality?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by atc89, Aug 6, 2013.

1. atc89

atc89 New Member

Oct 15, 2006
    Hi all, I'm a new Dish customer with one Hopper w/Sling and one Joey for about a month and a half now. I've noticed that when I download and watch an On-demand Movie or Tv Show the HD Picture Quality is not quite what I would call HD. Its alittle blurry and clouding around images. Its still very much watchable but when I had DirecTV and watch a On-demand HD Movie or Tv Show it was very crisp and high def..
    Has anyone noticed this also?

2. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    I have a vip 622 and have been watching Rome on demand. Not really blurry but about every now and then my picture goes blank. Sound keeps going but I'll lose the picture for a second or so. Maybe every 30 seconds, maybe every minute. Aggravating but not enough to stop me from watching a free download.

3. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium] atc89, [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]I know how this can be frustrating and I am happy to help you today! What type of connection are you using to connect from the Hopper to the HDTV? Is this happening on all On-Demand movies or just this one in particular? Please press the red reset button on the Hopper and try different On-Demand channels.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks[/SIZE]

4. Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork DISH Representative DISH Representative

Feb 1, 2011
    [SIZE=medium]festivus,[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks for the information and I am happy to help you today, are all the connections from the receiver, HDTV and wall hand tight? What type of connection are you using to connect the VIP622 to the HDTV? Please unplug the receiver for 10 seconds and allow for the receiver to reacquire and download the program guide. Check the channels again to make sure everything is playing correctly.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=medium]Thanks [/SIZE]

5. olds403

olds403 Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    I also get regular 1-2 second video dropouts when viewing streaming content. This is occuring when streaming HD content from BB@Home, I also noticed that the quality of the image changes after the dropouts. Two titles I have noticed the problem with recently are "Amelie" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)" The movies will start out in what is obviously HD, then maybe 10 or 15 minutes into the movie there will be a 1-2 second blackout and after the blackout the picture is obviously SD, then maybe 5 minutes later there is another blackout and the picture will switch back to HD. This will happen throughout the film and it is very annoying and really affects the movie watching experience.

On a sidenote, I noticed while watching "The Day the Earth Stood Still" that they are inserting commercials/promos for whatever channel provided the content (in this case HDNet Movies that I ALREADY subscribe to) and that is extremely irritating also.