1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish on wheels

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by pjmrt, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I just read an interesting story in this morning's paper - about the increase in people buying dbs dishes for install on top of their SUVs. Here's one of the links I found referencing it:
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic.../archive/2003/11/10/BUG6B2T6U81.DTL&type=tech

Seems like a great idea if they really are not too bulky. Anybody have any first hand experience with one of these and could comment on how well they really work (reception, how Dish/D-TV handles a movable receiver, ...etc.) Just curious. If prices get down to the reasonable level, it may be just the thing for those summer vacations.

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    They make these for those that want high speed two-way satellite internet as well where your on the road and want to surf even if your out in the country just as long as you have line of sight to the satellite.

Most people just use the regular dishes because of how much cheaper they are.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Around my parts, we're a little more low tech. I saw an old beat up station wagon a few weeks ago that had not one, but two masts permanently mounted onto the roof of the vehicle. The reflectors weren't attached though, so I think it was only a partial install, or a install in progress.

4. Shellback X 23

Shellback X 23 Legend

Sep 18, 2004
    The High Speed Two Way antennas are bulky and are definitely not meant for "In-Motion" use.

KVH and MotoStat make in motion DBS antennas and you find most of them on High end Motor Homes, a Dome about 12" tall by 18 to 24" in diameter. Auto acquisition cast about $2000 and in motion $3000 plus. Since I travel alone I have no need for one.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    They likely remove the reflectors when not in use due to air resistence when driving. When its time to watch TV,,they likely aim and attach.

BTW: Nice hooters.

6. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005

I'll bet they attach and then aim. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.