1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DISH Online On A Shared Computer

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jim148, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 14
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I wanted to watch DISH Online on a shared computer recently, but I received a message that I needed to upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Internet Explorer or install Firefox. It was running Internet Explorer 7. I am wondering if it would be possible to have either Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox on a USB thumb drive and use that to watch DISH Online?

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 14
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    I'm terrified to ask why IE7 hasn't been upgraded yet.

3. Dec 9, 2011 #3 of 14
    MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    He's probably on a work pc and shouldn't be watching videos in the first place. ;)

A lot of companies are still on older software for various reasons. My company is just now upgrading it's pc's to Win 7 from Win XP and we still have IE6 on those pc's. The reason is, we have software that only runs on IE6 and never upgraded. Now that there is a viabale Win 7 version of that software, we're moving onward. Although, we will be on IE8 and not IE9.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 14
    Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    These are the minimum requirements for slinging:

Hardware & Software Requirements for DISH Online
    Minimum PC Requirements
    Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates
    Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent with 256 MB of RAM
    Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 3.5 or above

High-Speed Internet connection

but as the previous post indicated, there may be a restriction from your work PC and network. It would need to be installed on the PC. Thanks.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 14
    Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    It's the same thing here where I work. IE7 is needed for a huge Oracle app's web interface that is the driving force of the whole institution.

We were always behind in browsers due to that app. Fortunately there is no restriction to using Firefox, which can be the latest version.

BTW: unless you have admin rights you cannot install Firefox. You can't "run" it from a jump drive in Windows (no matter which version you are running).

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 14
    RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
  7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm more worried about someone who would install IE on a computer intentionally.

As for why IE7, many institutions don't support subsequent versions of IE and compatibility mode is a farce.

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 14
    Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    Thank you very much for the reply. So, if I understand this correctly, I can install Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition, on a USB flash drive and then, say for the sake of argument, we are at a hotel on vacation, I can just plug in the USB flash drive, use my saved bookmarks, and watch DISH Online? If so, I better make a run to Microcenter or check Newegg and get an inexpensive USB flash drive. Also, for this application, is one flash drive pretty much live another for this purpose? O do realize that there are different sizes available, but it looks like 4 GB and under are very reasonably priced.

Also, even though I am focusing on Mozilla Firefox for this mainly because that it what I use at home, would there be any reason that I ought to consider Microsoft Internet Explorer 8? Or, for that matter, might there be any reason to have both on a USB flash drive? It seems pretty rare at home to run across something that doesn't play well with Firefox, but occasionally it has happened.

9. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
  10. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    What about Macs?

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Firefox support should be the same on a Mac as a PC... Safari 4 or higher should be supported as well.

I haven't checked lately, but Mac support used to be 32-bit only, so you had to launch your browser in 32-bit mode.

12. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Been doing exactly that at work for a quite awhile now.

13. Jim148

Jim148 Godfather

Jun 22, 2004
    I have not had any luck with this. It seems that I need Adobe Flash Player, but I don't know if it is possible to load Adobe Flash Player on my USB Flash Drive.

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Nope...