1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish or dealer upgrade?

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by logger, Jul 28, 2010.

1. logger

logger Cool Member

Aug 29, 2009
    ellijay,ga
    I would like to upgrade to hd since it's now free.I purchased my equipment and do not wish to sign a contract.would the cost be the same if I went trough a local dealer?I chatted with dish and they said $149 for a 222k and $95 for install as I will need a different dish[he said].I currently have a 322 and assumed this would be a comparable set up

2. da88

da88 Cool Member

Jul 25, 2010
    I don't think that the dealers can shoot a better upgrade price, but I could be wrong. However, I just upgraded an SD 510 to an HD 612 for $115.00 installed. My account already had an HD package for my 722 too. I did re-up my contract though, not sure if that impacted the price. Also, I'm not sure you can lease additional equipment without continuing a contract.

3. wbowery

wbowery Cool Member

Jul 18, 2007
    The free HD isn't really free. You either have to pay $95 up front OR sign up for paperless billing and credit card autopay plus sign a 24-month contract you said you don't want.

Signing up for the protection plan at $6 per month gets you that install for $15 instead of $95. If you don't want to keep paying the $6 a month protection plan, you can cancel it later for a $25 fee. You would still come out ahead by paying $46 vs. $95.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A dealer can offer you exactly the same deals as Dish does. BUT... the only way to get no contract is to purchase your equipment outright, and then you have to either install it yourself or pay for installation. The "free" install only comes with leased equipment, which then means a contract.

TANSTAAFL, you know. :)