1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH OTA Module - is there just one?

Discussion in 'DISH™ OTA Support and Discussion Forum' started by pmjones, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Apr 1, 2013 #1 of 10
    pmjones

pmjones AllStar

Aug 3, 2012
    Simple question - is the 222k, 722k, and 922 OTA modules all the same one? e.g. You buy a module for the 722 off eBay and it also works in the 922 (universal)?

2. Apr 1, 2013 #2 of 10
    garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There are two different add ons for OTA on Dish receivers. One works with Vip (222, 722k, 922) models and one for Hopper. One other note, the 722k requires the module, the 722 has it built in (and only one OTA at a time as does the module needed for the Hopper), the module for Vip can tune 2 OTA at the same time.

3. Aug 3, 2013 #3 of 10
    NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00 New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    NC
    I am going to order the off air module for my Hopper at my house. I have a few questions:
    1. Can I select which off air channel
    My hopper will record??
    2. I can receive tv channels using my off air antenna from 2 different DMA's. will the hopper let me watch the channels from 2 different DMA using antenna
    3. Can I watch the off air station on the hopper during times of satellite loss during storms??

4. Aug 3, 2013 #4 of 10
    thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    See my comments in red.

5. Aug 7, 2013 #5 of 10
    NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00 New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    NC
    I have the OTA installed and it works great. Is there a function for Primetime anytime to record one of the OTA channels?? So can PTA record "the big4" as we'll as 1 additional OTA channel or do I have to manual record anything on OTA channels?

6. Aug 7, 2013 #6 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    PTA only works because it uses a single tuner to record "big 4" channels that are on the same SAT transponder... otherwise it would take multiple tuners to do that same thing every night.

Feel free to set a manual timer on any individual OTA channel and record that same time-block every night if you want... or just set timers specific shows you know you want via OTA.

7. Aug 7, 2013 #7 of 10
    NCwolfpack00

NCwolfpack00 New Member

Jul 27, 2013
    NC
    Thanks for your help.
    I hope you can help solve this next problem. My friend as a SD dish DVR with Dual Wire LNB. So there are 2 RG6 wires running from LNB to inside SD DVR. He wants to install an OTA on the roof and diplex the OTA signal with the 2 wires coming from satellite and then separate them in the house. Basically he wants to have an OTA on his TV without running a 3rd wire. What can I buy to do this with?? Some suggested a holland diplexer but its only for one OTA wire and one Sat wire, which leaves one sat wire untouched !! I'm not sure if that will work if it does how would I know what wire OTA signal is on once I'm inside the house??

8. Aug 7, 2013 #8 of 10
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    it will works fine, just pick _one _ cable and cut it for two diplexers, up and down

9. Aug 8, 2013 #9 of 10
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... just pick one of them, at the point where you want to diplex in the OTA signal... cut it and add connectors (of course)... put one diplexor there and connect the OTA from the antenna.

Inside, where the receiver is, pick a wire... either wire... and add the other diplexor there and see if your antenna signal is there. IF not, swap it to the other SAT cable. You can't hurt anything and you have a 50/50 chance of guessing right the first time anyway.

10. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    If this receiver is feeding a 2nd room, the installer, may have allready used diplexers to feed the TV2 output to that 2nd room. If so, you'll need to use the other cable.