1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Outages

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by eastof111, Jul 29, 2012.

1. eastof111

eastof111 Cool Member

Jul 29, 2012
    I noticed yesterday Dish had an outage. As a possible new sub, is this something to worry about or is their outage history as good as or similar to DTV?

2. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo Legend

Mar 14, 2012
    I suppose it depends on what arc you are on; I did not notice any issues last night.

I was able to watch Family Feud on GSN HD. Then, I watched the local news in HD and a local show after it. Then, my family and I watched Forensic Files on Tru TV. After, we watched the news on the local HD NBC affiliate. So, maybe we were lucky...

3. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Extremely rare. 2 short ones a week apart due to extreme weather at uplink locations was a fluke.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    There were a lot of very strong storms throughout the North East yesterday and had a few short ones due to that. I don't believe our outages were related to any uplink center. The last one a couple of weeks ago was however. Not sure about the reported outages in other areas.

5. eastof111

eastof111 Cool Member

Jul 29, 2012
    Thanks, good to hear it was a fluke.

6. domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    been with dish for 2.5 years .never an outage

7. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    I may be one of the longer subscribers to Dish here, since November 1996. Very rare to have an outage other than weather. Almost as rare to have an uplink outage, but it has happened a handful of times. Not too often, but locally during the head of a storm I may lose the signal for a very short time, and though never with the Western Arc, sometimes snow does accumulate on the Eastern ARC dish and I have to wipe it off.

I will say though I may not always know, I do think Direct TV has outages even a less.However everyone I know who has Direct TV loses the signal in the heavy rainstorms a little more often and for a little longer. Still, not bad however.

Contrast that to Cable, both in Ct and Fl, and it's no contest. Just in the last couple of years in Ct we lost cable at work for 9 or 10 days twice. Car into pole, outage. power failure somewhere else along the line but not in the area of where I work, outage. One of the biggest myths Cable talks about is satellite losing the signal.
    And one of the biggest annoyances of Charter is freezing, not the receiver (though it certainly can) but the actual transmission. Sometimes the frozen picture will stay for hours on a particular channel or channels.