1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish pointing help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jkclpc, Sep 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkclpc

jkclpc New Member

Sep 2, 2006
    I picked up a phase III dish for a portable tailgating setup and set it all up today to make sure it worked. I am getting 93 on satellite 110 but nothing on 119 or 101. I have hooked and unhooked and realigned until I am ready to beat it with a hammer. What am i doing wrong????
    thansk, Kevin

2. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    I hate to ask the dumb question, but when you went through the set up process, you did tell it you had a 3LNB versus standard round dish, correct?

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    It's all about aiming and alignment. With the 3-LNB Phase III dish it's very easy to aim at the wrong satellite and be fooled because the receiver's signal meter just tells you a signal, not that it's the right one.

What sort of alignment tools and signal meters are you using?

4. jkclpc

jkclpc New Member

Sep 2, 2006
    I picked up an Accutrac22 and began with the "stock" settings using a compass. I have switch on the 22khz switch and using two leads at a time from the LNBs.

Admitedly this is the first time i have tried to tune in a phase III or use the signal meter so could be operator error. I am open to any suggestions or tricks to properly get this going before the game tomorrow.

And yes, it is set to the correct dish type in setup menu:)

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Most likely pointing error.

Check channels 490, 491, 492, 493 and 494. If you are properly aimed, all of those should give you a banner showing the satellite and polarity.

You might be aimed at 101 instead of 110. The 3-LNB dish needs to be pointed at the 110 satellite.

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.