1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish ppv

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by gib4500, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gib4500

gib4500 AllStar

Apr 11, 2004
    Does anyone know how to get ppv movies off of your receiver. I had a free movie coupon and now i can't get the movie off my receiver. i don't want them to charge me 4 months later.

2. TON

TON Mentor

Jan 8, 2004
    If you have one of the Open Tv Models (3900,4900,301,311,501,508,510,811) or one of the Linux Models (322,522,721,921) you can go to the phone diagnositcs screen when you have a phone line connected and run a connection test, assuming that passes go to the dial out and press select. This might be a little different on a 721 or a 921 but something very similar I sure. Hope this helps :grin:

3. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    What if you recently caused it to do a manual dial out before you purchased the PPV movie? For example, if you manually ask it to dial out, and then you make the purchase, when you try to get it to report the new purchase to Dish Network, it will simply say "NO DIALOUT PENDING". This is irritating, for the very reason mentioned above about the free coupons expiring.

I suppose one can call Dish and ask the CSR to ask the receiver to dial out; they can send a command to the smart card which causes the unit to immediately want to dial out to update its status.

4. crossk

crossk New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Just send in the coupon with your next payment to Dish and they will credit your bill for that amount and when the PPV goes through (if it does) and appears on your bill just pay the total bill because you have already got your credit.

5. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    The PPV coupon specifically requires that you note which movie you watched and then record it on the coupon, i.e. they are matching it against a specific PPV purchase. I don't know how they'd react to a coupon which had no movie filled in, or had a movie filled in which your account had not reported as purchasing. I assume they just discard the coupon without issuing a credit; the coupons are not general bill credit.

6. MattS

MattS Godfather

Apr 5, 2004
    They would probably still credit the account the 3.99 but if their is a credit on their and no other 3.99 charge. That credit will get eaten up by any other charges on the account.

7. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    So I just send in three blank PPV coupons without making any PPV purchases, and Dish just applies a $12 credit against my regular programming bill??

I don't think so. Coupons don't work like that anywhere; you have to actually purchase the good or service to apply the coupon. You can't use a coupon for a free appetizer to help cover the cost of the entree if you didn't order an appetizer in the first place. Dish will simply discard the coupon without honoring it.

8. crossk

crossk New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Slordak

Thats not what I said to do, gib4500 knows the name of the movie, so he can put it on the coupon and send it in. Dish will credit his account right then for that movie. When it uploads (if it does) Dish will then put it on his bill. At that point he has already recived the credit. Of corse you can't send in 3 coupons with no movies filled in and get credit for them. I didn't imply that.

9. Boris

Boris New Member

Mar 15, 2004
    I have had the discussion about "forcing a download" with CSRs on numerous occasions without any luck. They just don't understand, or care, that I don't want the movies siting in pending purchases forever. I really don't understand why E* does not want to force a download at a customer's request and get its money sooner rather than later. The last movies I paid for had been in my pending purchases for about 9 months!

Last time I wanted to download movies I sent an email to customer support and they set up my receiver to allow me to download the pending purchases.

10. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    FYI if you look at the PPV "coupon", you will notice that it is actually a "check".
    It has bank routing numbers and is encoded for $3.99 amount to be "processed" as a check to go though the banking system. As to whether you can send it in "before" it shows on your bill, the "fine print" says to send it in "with" the statement that has the PPV "LISTED" that you want use the "coupon" for.
    I DO agree that E* needs a "way" to "make" your reciever "report" your purchases AT the customers "request to do so".
    I don't like leaving my receiver connected 24/7 to the phone system ,
    AS I have had several modems and phone acessories damaged by lightning
    EVEN with a suppressor attached.

11. DarrellP

DarrellP Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I have a PPV that is now 1 year old, my 501 is connected to a phone line and I've tried the diagnostic many times, all it tells me is that everything is okie dokie. I used a PPV coupon as well and received the credit for it many moons ago. I guess Charlie doesn't want my money.

With my older 3000 there was a procedure you could go through to force an upload to Dish.

12. texas39

texas39 Legend

Nov 10, 2003

How many PPV movies does that 510 allow before you cant purchase any more? some movies 501-wherever are 3.99 most of time
    and 490-499 are around 9.99 ,
    IS this a $dollar amount or number limit on what you can order on one receiver?

13. retiredTech

retiredTech Icon

Oct 27, 2003
    update on my 721, the PPV, the movie I ordered IS on my bill, even though the purchase history says the movie is "not reported". So, don't know what "not reported" means, perhaps "not paid for"?? Anyway, I'm sending in my free PPV coupon(which is a check).
    So not sure what's up with the PPV purchase history. But as long as I can use my free coupons and don't get double billed, I really don't care what "not reported" means.

14. Hoobastank

Hoobastank Legend

Mar 9, 2004
    wow, you really "enjoy" quotation marks.

15. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    "Not that there is anything wrong with that..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.