1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish promo-customer appreciation

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dkutz, May 7, 2009.

1. May 7, 2009 #1 of 16
    dkutz

dkutz Cool Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Has anyone else gotten the promo inthe mail for continuing customers? IT has two offers HD DVR offer -free dvr upgrade $10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months

OR

$10 off for 12 months Free HBO Starz for 3 months Free HD channels for 3 months plus an additional $15 credit.

Anyone do this? Is it a good deal? Whats the catch?

2. May 8, 2009 #2 of 16
    Shades228

Shades228 DaBears DBSTalk Club

Mar 18, 2008
    The catch is that you won't go to another company when they release their information on 5/11. My guess is it will come with an agreement. DirecTV has been doing this for over a year and Charlie is trying to show his customers that he cares.

3. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I got a large "postcard" some time back and did the HBO & Starz for 3 months (no added commit - they had my email address and autopay-paperless for penny Cinemax). On my card, it says the Starz offer expired 05/05/09, but it also says offerS valid thru 31-Jul and subject to change. When I did the HBO & Starz, I did ask for the $10/month for a year, but it appears the crack CSR never entered it. I've phoned 3 times asking when the $10 would appear (I'm in my last 30 days of Starz) but this 3rd time was the charm. He said it hasn't shown up because it wasn't ever requested. The $10 does require a 24 month commit, but I'd break even if I signed up and paid it off in 14-15 months.

BUT, my card doesn't have anything about an "extra $15 credit". What can you tell me about that additional $15 credit? If I'm going to phone again for the $10/month, I may as well go for the extra $15 too. It would help to have some info though.

4. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    I just got the card in the mail. The offers are listed as follows:

HD DVR Offer: Free HD DVR upgrade $5.98/mo DVR service fee applies; $120 savings off your current programming package (12 monthly credits of $10); Free HBO and starz for 3 months; Free HD channels for 3 months

Programming Offer: $120 savings off your current programming package (12 monthly credits of $10); Free HBO and starz for 3 months; Free HD channels for 3 months; Additional $15 credit (the equivalent of 3 movies)

Offers require commitment. HD programming requires HD receiver and HD television (sold separately).

Offers valid through 7/31/09 and subject to change without notice.

HD DVR Upgrade: requires 24-month commitment to a qualifying package ... Installation restrictions may apply.

$10 Off for 12 months: requires 24-month commitment to a qualifying package ...

Lots of other fine print including cancellation fees.

One question I have is how much is the "free" HD DVR upgrade? That is, how much would installation of a new antenna run? What about installation of the new HD DVR? I presume that there is no chance any of the existing programming on an old Dish DVR could be transferred to the new one, right?

5. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    With this offer, there is no up-front lease fee for the HD-DVR and no charge for installation, which includes a new dish if required. It's being "paid for" by your programming commitment. Remember all of the threads where people complain that Dish never offers existing customers "good deals" like new customers get? Well, this is just such a deal.

There is no way to move content from a standard-def DVR to an HD-DVR, nor any way to archive it. But once you have an HD-DVR, you can archive content to an external USB hard drive, and THAT could be used to transfer content between HD-DVRs on your account (622/722/722k/612), as it is linked to your account, not to a specific DVR. It would also allow you to backup/restore shows in case of a receiver failure (you'd need to archive shows regularly, of course).

6. PhantomOG

PhantomOG Legend

Feb 7, 2007
    I got this in the mail as well.

Reading the fine print at the bottom mine says the offer is good until 7/31 (I think that's what I remember).

I immediately started dreaming of holding the card in my hand and calling Dish the day the 922 is released and getting my 622 exchanged for a 922 for free....... :lol:

7. Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411 Icon

Aug 26, 2007
    That is exactly what came to my mind as well :lol:

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Hope you enjoy the dream, because that's about as close as you're going to get to that scenario happening anytime in the next 18-24 months! :lol:

9. plasmacat

plasmacat Legend

Mar 14, 2007
    I got the card in the mail and signed up yesterday for the promotion/2 year commitment.
    Since I already was getting the HBO/Starz 3mon. free (since May 1) I got the CSR to give me Showtime free also for 3months.

10. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    I have not received this offer and have been looking to upgrade. Is there a code or special phone number associated with this program?

11. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    This offer is for people who are no longer on a long term commitment and have good payment record. It is just a way to get them to sign up for 24 more months.

12. chainblu

chainblu Legend

May 14, 2006
    The current HBO/Showtime 3 months free deal does is commitment free.

13. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Rememebr if you took the HBO/Starz promo, you are not eligible for the HBO/Showtime.

14. whessen

whessen New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    I have 12 months remaining on a previous committement and was given the offer. My new committement is 24 months, not 36 months (12 on the old commit and 24 on the new commit).

The offer is being handled through the Loyalty Department. The rep I spoke with was very knowledgeable and set me up very quickly - upgarde to a HD DVR, $10 per month off of my bill for 12 months, 3 months free HBO/Showtime, and Platimum HD free for 3 moths.

I have paperless billing and online bill pay.

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    If you do ebill/autopay you should be able to get Cinemax of a penny for at least a year.

16. neilo

neilo AllStar

Aug 7, 2006
    Maryland
    That is interesting. Currently I have a SD DVR feeding two TVs (one of which is HD). I suppose I could move the SD DVR to the second TV and have the HD-DVR just feed the HDTV (with both DVRs in single-TV mode) until we have finished watching all the material on the SD DVR and then return that? (Unless of course we get too used to having both DVRs .....)