1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

DISH Protection Plan

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by NCwolfpack, Mar 19, 2012.

1. NCwolfpack

NCwolfpack Cool Member

Dec 24, 2007
    I am a new DISH customer.

The Dish Protection plan is $6.00 per month. Is it worth the money to get this service??

If I dont have the plan will DISH re align my satellite dish if a storm moves it out of alignment?? If I dont have the DISH protection plan will DISH replace my receiver if it just quits working??

Any help is appreciated

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    First off, go to the DISH website and read the terms and conditions.

If wind storms are a problem (seems likely given your location), the protection plan may come in handy. You save some on shipping costs if leased receivers need to be replaced.

I wouldn't get all dewy over the concept of "Priority Support".

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    My experience has been that if the dish is properly installed in the first place there should be only very rare instances where it needs to be realigned.

Also, my dish equipment has been very reliable (I have a 722K and 3 211's) so I have only used Dishes replacement services 2 times in 9 years and I therefore do not subscribe to their Protection Plan.

In the two instances where I used their service, I made the determination that the receiver needed to be replaced by doing troubleshooting before calling the first time to subscribe to the Protection Plan then called back or used online chat to get the receiver replaced (both were hard drive failures on the dual tuner DVR).

These instances were both before Dish initiated the $25 charge for cancelling the Protection Plan, but even with that dissuasion, I still do not subscribe because pro-rated the plan plus the cancellation penalty usually comes to less than $30 per instance and that is 5 months of the Plan.

If you develop chronic problems with your system, by all means subscribe and use the heck out of the plan, but if your experience is anywhere near mine, I have saved hundreds of dollars by not having it and knowing I can get it if needed and even by cancelling immediately after the problem is corrected, I still save a lot of money off what someone would pay for contimuous subscription to the Protection Plan.

4. Transplanted Yankee

Transplanted Yankee Mentor

Oct 17, 2010
    I've had the Protection Plan for several years. My understanding is that if it has the Dish logo on it, it's covered. This came in real handy on remote replacement's when my kid's were smaller. I've used it a few times on replacing defective DVR's.

5. Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus Icon

Jul 29, 2011
    I personally only use the protection plan when i need it. There is no sense in paying for it when everything is working fine.
    The Protection Plan isnt like traditional insurance, if something goes wrong you can add it on to the account at the same time your telling a CSR your install bit the farm and it would all still be covered. In fact as a former Dish CSR i can tell you that the agent will probably suggest you add it to avoid telling you a tech visit will cost 95$ without it.

Just bear in mind you have to keep it on for a minimum of 150 days when you add it onto the account, but still i would rather have it on my account 5 months of the year instead of 12 lol.

6. Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Dec 28, 2010
    With the Protection Plan, there isn't a charge for shipping and technician visits are $15 instead of $95. Our leased equipment is replaced at no charge. There could be a charge for the remote if it needs to be replaced. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

7. tommiet

tommiet Godfather

Dec 28, 2005
    You can add the protection plan via the web site when needed. I believe you do have to keep it 90 days. I was actually told this by a Dish rep just last week when I was trying to get a discount for a Hopper. She told me to drop it and add it when needed.

8. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    DISH's Service Plan covers alot of things,like power surges,realignments,when a DISH remote control goes bad,ect.

If thinking about it bothers you?,by all means get it.I have it and I sleep alot better.:)

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My understanding is that my PocketDISH and DISH branded TV are not covered.

10. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    120 days now. Used to be 150 days. If removed early, the fee is $25 for removal.

11. thaipinoy1

thaipinoy1 New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    Ive needed my dish realigned a couple times, so having the protection plan has come in very handy for me.

12. wildnphx

wildnphx New Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Same thing I was told....