1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Pushing Programming Upgrades

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by restart88, Aug 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. restart88

restart88 Legend

Jun 18, 2006
    Out of the blue I got an 800 service call on my caller id, which I normally don't bother to answer but with our primary election coming up in Sept I figured it was one of those stupid political calls (I get like 20 a week!) and I figured they'd just keep calling until I answered. Some leave voice mail, some don't and just keep re-dialing.

I was just getting ready to slam the phone down when a live human finally responded. It was Dish Network (though I suspect it was really a 3rd party contractor) offering me a "special upgrade opportunity of just $10 a month to qualified Dish Network subscribers like yourself."

Long story short, I wasn't thinking at the time. That's the standard rate for that tier and if I wanted that level of programming I would have ordered it myself. He said I should try it and I would be upgraded at no additional charge (whoppee!) and if I didn't like it I could always just downgrade back to my old tier, but he left out the part about the programming downgrade charge. ;)

I've never had Direct TV or cable call me up to solicit upgrading, much less not even having an incentive of some sort in hand. :nono2:

I don't like this practice. I wonder if Dish has a "Do not bug me" list? I wouldn't even as much mind if they were informing me of something new, like a special deal to upgrade to HD that's not advertised. But to just call up and ask me to spend more money? I'm a little bit offended.

What's next? The bank calling up asking that I deposit more money so they can have a better balance sheet? :D

2. in0cul4t1on

in0cul4t1on New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    Yes they have a do no call list. You have to call their reg cust service to be placed on it. Also might consider registering at this website to prevent other calls.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

3. nova828

nova828 Legend

Mar 28, 2004
    I get those calls once in a while. The problem with Dish's telemarketing is that they never offer anything good! It's just the same deals I know I can get myself anytime I want. Like adding Starz for 11.99. When I had cable they also did telemarketing to get people to upgrade, but the Adelphia telemarketers offered great deals! Deals that weren't advertised anywhere else. I actually wanted them to call me! Like I had Digital cable with HBO and was paying 67.99. They called me to offer Cinemax, Starz and Showtime. If I remember correctly, 2 of them were free for 6 months and adding Cinemax was only 5 dollars more if you already had HBO. So I ended up with every channel on the system (except PPV) for 72.99.

It was after the 6 months ended I switched to Dish.

4. ms1960

ms1960 Cool Member

Dec 16, 2005
    I was just wondering if anybody knew if you could subscribe too the HD package and your local channels only on direct or dish?

5. Donp

Donp Legend

May 2, 2006
    I just got a call from E* saying that I was qualified to get "paperless billing" and to call them back within three days if I didn't want it. It doesn't matter to me so I let it go. I was just surprised I got a call from Dish about anything.

6. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    I put my name on that government "do not call" list quite awhile ago, and now get more telemaketing calls than ever before.:nono2: So beware. It just doesn't work.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    That was my feeling about it... Firstly, being on the "do not call list" requires you to list an actual working phone number... so anyone who sees the list knows they have a list of valid current phone numbers!

Then... sure, now it is a law if someone calls you if you are on the list, that can be punished... BUT you have to protest. There is no automatic arrest or prosecution or fine... you still have to complain to someone and kick off a process to get them punished... which really is no different than the way things were in the past!

And... the honest businesses would always oblige you and not call again in the past... just as they would now... but the shady ones know they are shady and will call anyway, unless and until they get punished enough... so I really haven't seen the point.

Also, the loophole where any company that you have done business with in a recent timeframe (I think it was a year or 18 months or something) can still call and you cannot have them punished for calling.... gives a lot of leeway to keep getting calls too.

I just use my caller ID and don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is... and the ones who don't leave messages, I figure were ones I didn't want to talk to anyway!

8. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    The Federal "do not call" list does not apply to business with whom you already have an existing relationship. That means that Dish Network (or someone working in affiliation with Dish) is allowed to call you because you are a Dish customer. The worst part about this is that they identify themselves as representing Dish Network, so it's impossible to know in advance that they're not calling about a real service or billing issue.

I asked to be put on Dish's own "Do Not Call" list after they called and offered me Starz for the third time. It didn't help, though, and they continued to call. Your experience may vary, of course.

9. restart88

restart88 Legend

Jun 18, 2006

The Federal & state "Don't Call" lists have been pretty good for me. Calls went to a trickle a few weeks later. And I made sure to report every one that did call.

Eventually they have virtually stopped, with these allowed exceptions. Newspapers, political calls are exempt as are companies you do business with. But, the companies you do business with have privacy statements that you need to understand and respond to! So there's hope there.

Since "Don't Call" my credit card companies were calling weekly until I strongly advised them I was both on don't call and had asked them directly for no sales calls from them. Now, I may get 3 sales calls in a busy week as opposed to 3 per day.

10. restart88

restart88 Legend

Jun 18, 2006
    Keep in mind there is a fine point of law here! If these are truly Dish employees they have a right to call. If these are 3rd party contractees they do not, as I understand the law. And based on the call I think the case here was the latter.

11. restart88

restart88 Legend

Jun 18, 2006
    If that was your only notification that actually is not legal. Yes, they can change your billing notification, but not by leaving you a voicemail. :nono2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.