1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Remote Access vs. Dish Online???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bnborg, May 16, 2011.

1. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    Both web apps can be accessed from the Dish Network site after logging in. They seem to provide the same features. Both allow you to schedule recordings on your DVR

Dish Remote Access opens in the same window and shows a sling logo in the top right corner. It shows a programming grid with all your channels. It also shows current and scheduled recordings.

Dish Online opens a new window or tab. It briefly shows a Beta login window and then goes to programming grid.

The both give access to your DVR, including the attached EHD, if any. Neither gives any indication whether any particular recording is internal or external.

Why are they both available? :confused:

2. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Not certain, but it appears Dish Online will replace Remote Access after the beta.

3. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    Could be, it's stable. If the HD quality get racketed up......could be.

4. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Wish they'd make up their mind and perfect one of them. Sure be nice to have a "favorites", it would load much faster with only the channels you wanted to look at. Would be very helpful when logging in from a phone, just way too much to scroll through. The original Sling log on seemed like it had more options, these just seem to be going in the wrong direction.

5. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    I just tried Dish Online, and it seems pretty robust, most of the time anyway (sometimes the guide was slow to load). However, the DVR page isn't as informative as the one on the Remote Access site... I can't see if a scheduled program is set for my OTA or Dish channel (something I like to know if I need to resolve conflicts), and the guide doesn't show which programs are scheduled to record, except for the ones scheduled online. Hopefully, these features will be added.

6. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I agree. Dish Remote Access seems to be better. :rolleyes:

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I tried both and I prefer Dish Online beta. I like it because I can see all my channels that have guide data including my off-air stations (I get a few OOM signals OTA). Remote Access does not show those channels.

8. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    I see just the opposite. DRA shows that I am currently recording 5-01, my local OTA ABC station. Dish Online does not show that channel. :confused:

9. sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    Dish Online's interface is modern and slick, but it has about 1/100th of the features and functionality of DRA. But I guess it's beta so we have to wait it out.

Not happy about the lack of customizing, filters, tweaks, etc... and where's the "later" option? You used to be able to show a whole list of all matches to your query that were upcoming in the next 7 days or so. Not present in Dish Online. For that matter, the "Later" option is absent from the latest update to the Android app as well. :mad: Not happy about the direction things are going.

I do like how if you expand a list of episodes for a show, you see them all at once and not just 3 at a time. Now, if only it allowed sorting...

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Now I'm certain. When you log into Remote Access you get a message that Dish Online will indeed replace it very soon. I guess we'll have to get used to it :(

11. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Yes...but hard to get used to when you have no browser that works on it!!!!(more than one) So i sure hope they wake up and fix its many problems.

12. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    At least Dish admits their "Online" is beta.......the dish/sling was rolled out as ready for primetime, which it was not, yet now is much better and apparently going away.......several of the features with "Dish Online" do not work though, the watch on TV is non functional, there are reports of the recording feature not operating, and there's no clock on the page, a clock would be helpful and convenient. Dish in the message does state,
    "DISH Online will include DVR scheduling and management features plus many more," which will be helpful if not imperative.

13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Amen to that. But you can get it working at least in Chrome using the IE Tab plugin.

14. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Ill try it......right from dish support " dont even try Chrome"......That was about a month ago....shouldnt they tell people when or if they upgrade somthing?????

15. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    Works OK with the Linux version of Chrome. I did notice that the grid includes channels to which we do not subscribe, unlike the non-beta version.

16. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Technically it doesn't work in chrome, so support is correct. But IE Tab is a chrome plugin which runs IE inside Chrome. So you'd actually be running it in IE within a chrome tab. But it's seamless and works well.

17. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I haven't tried it yet.

18. WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98 AllStar

Aug 17, 2006
    I see more info re: a description of the program with DRA than I do with DishOnline so this is definitely a step backwards IMO. And isn't it redundant to call this Beta? isn't everything Dish produces Beta? LOL

19. sremick

sremick AllStar

Feb 4, 2008
    There's lots of missing functionality. Besides no "Later" option, it doesn't show all episodes if you have a lot for one show and expand the group.

DRA is much, much more powerful, versatile and useful.

20. altidude

altidude AllStar

Jan 13, 2010
    I also much prefer DRA as far as DVR management goes. The one feature I really like on DishOnline is the option to filter movies on this week by highest rating then set those to DVR. I found a bunch of good stuff to record using this filter. I'm glad I bought that 2TB EHD!

With Dish phasing out DRA, I hope they provide the current DRA management features to DishOnline. I can't even see what time a show is recording with DishOnline, only the date.