1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish Requirements for adding DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by folocity, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1 of 13
    folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I currently have 2 H-20 receivers hooked up to a Slimline dish. One of my receivers is having issues and not able to tune to a large chunk of channels and/or showing that I haven't purchased channels which I have. It's definitely the box as I've swapped the two and it behaves the same on the other line. I was going to replace the faulty one and was considering getting an HD DVR. (I currently use a HTPC for the main DVR).

My question is around what lines I'd need to have from the dish to the receiver. Now I just have two lines from the dish, one to each receiver. There's no multiswitch. Would a third line need to be run to have two for the DVR? My concern is that I'm in Minnesota and there's a significant amount of snow on the roof at this point. I'm not sure they would even attempt to go up there. Can anything be done that doesn't require going to the dish?

Also am I missing anything on diagnosing my faulty receiver? Should I not give up on it? It's been restarted/reset many times. It does the same thing on either line from the dish.

Thanks for any help.

2. Jan 5, 2009 #2 of 13
    evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    Since it follows the receiver it's probably a pretty clear indication that it's a problem with the receiver. You might try having the authorization sent to the boxes again. This can be done by calling in and saying the number for the error code that shows up on screen at the computer prompt. That should automatically send the authorization again.

As for the DVR you would require 2 lines to the dvr to get full functionality of both tuners. You can run it with a single tuner until you can get a second cable run.

3. Jan 5, 2009 #3 of 13
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Take the access card out and clean it off. Also, if you have some, use some canned air to blow out the card slot.

I would also try refreshing your programming as evan_s suggested. May be easier to do it online though, rather than calling in. Here is the link... https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/login/login.jsp?_requestid=2820526

And he is also correct about the DVR. You can hook just one line to it, but you will only be able to watch or record one program at a time.

4. Jan 5, 2009 #4 of 13
    folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks. Resending the authorization actually fixed it for the stations it was saying I didn't have authorization for. However it's still not getting a signal on a few transponders. Everything else is in the 90's, but a few are just at 0.

5. Jan 5, 2009 #5 of 13
    Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    As long as you're getting all of the channels that you should, don't worry about the 0's. Some of those are normal. Those are spot beams that aren't aimed at your area.

6. Jan 6, 2009 #6 of 13
    folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Unfortunately I'm not getting all of the channels I should. I'm not getting my locals, ESPN, ESPN2 and others.

7. Jan 6, 2009 #7 of 13
    Greg Alsobrook

Apr 1, 2007
    And you're not having this problem on the other receiver either?

Did you try taking out and cleaning the access card?

8. Jan 6, 2009 #8 of 13
    jodyguercio

jodyguercio Active Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Have you verified that the BBCs are working properly? Try checking your connections that are outside. Make sure that they are tight and clean. Might have a little corrosion that is causing a problem.

9. Jan 6, 2009 #9 of 13
    folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I'm not having issues with the other receiver. I've tried switching the boxes and it's always the same one that doesn't work so it shouldn't be the connections or BBC. I did try cleaning the card and blowing air in the card slot and through the box in general. Any other thoughts?

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Is that receiver set to the correct dish type? If not, it may not be seeing all of the transponders. Also check the test channels 480-483 and 490-494.

11. folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    The dish type is setup correctly. The test channels seem to work. It's just my local channels, ESPN, ESPN2 and some other stations.

If I got a HD-DVR would I be able to schedule the new dish installation for sometime in the spring once the snow clears off the roof?

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I assume you swapped the BBC's to make sure the problem gos with the receiver and not the BBC?

Since you are already getting HD on the H20's, you won't not need a dish installation to add an HD-DVR. All you should need is to have the extra feeds from our existing dish (it should have four) connected.

13. folocity

folocity Cool Member

Dec 26, 2005
    I have swapped the BBC's too and that doesn't help anything either.

Unfortunately that still requires going up on a snowy roof. I'm hoping for a warm spell soon.