1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Said to Be in Talks With Viacom About Internet TV

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tsmacro, Sep 27, 2012.

1. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
  2. kick4fun

kick4fun Godfather

Aug 9, 2006
  3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well it would probably be shortsighted to think they'll survive forever just by relying on sticking dishes on people's roofs, so yeah it's good to see that they do seem to be always exploring other options.

4. 356B

356B Icon

Oct 11, 2008
    Northern...
    I'm not sure internet TV will replace the other systems anytime but soon, but I have always believed it is destined to be a player. The alliance Dish started with Sling, the buying of BB, DishOnline service and this Glenn Beck deal, all internet connected.

5. azjimbo

azjimbo Mentor

Jun 4, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
  6. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  7. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Yeah, TV providers and networks face an interesting future. I saw some study results later that showed younger viewers watch a very high percentage of their "TV" viewing via online sources, much higher than older viewers. So the future (as poor as most of us are at predicting that!) seems to be skewed towards online sourcing. But who the heck knows what that will look like.

8. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Well said.

9. pfred

pfred Mentor

Feb 8, 2009
    Sorry sports lovers

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Just read that bloomberg article.

The CEO of TWC sounds like a real jerk. Totally inappropriate remark about"old people".

Shame on someone who's suppose to be "educated"...........:nono2:

11. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
    I'm one of those "old people." We watched the debates on PBS via Dish, which was the first time we have used our 722 in several weeks. We have two Roku's and two iPads in the house and watch Netflix almost exclusively. I do not miss the ads at all :welcome:

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Good for you!

It just burns me when some CEO makes such a stupid remark.

I would venture a guess that a large majority of his customer base are "old people". [ who probably pay their cable bill on time]

One day he will fall into that catagory.

Karma.

13. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Hey, I'm sure DirectTV would love for Dish to drop all sports coverage, since Ergan's mom doesn't watch sports. I bet his mom doesn't watch a lot of cutting edge shows either. She probably didn't care for Walking Dead or Mad Men either. ;)

14. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    That would be great! Would be a nice "replacement" to taking away BB. I use Amazon streaming all the time through my Panny 60ST50 TV. It would be nice to use it on the other 2 TV's in the house.

15. pfred

pfred Mentor

Feb 8, 2009
    I am not sure if you are kidding, but the implication is a lot of people's moms don't watch sports, implying that a lot of other people don't watch sports, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    That's fine with me.

17. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    I was slightly tongue in cheek. But a lot of people's moms don't watch How I Met Your Mother and similar network comedies, which implies of lot of other people don't watch them, and would not miss it one bit if Dish stopped carrying them.

I'm guessing your average viewer regularly watches less than a third of the channels they get from Dish (pulled that number purely out of the air, just a guess.) Ergen, in almost every interview I read in business outlets, sounds like one of those super-rich arrogant CEOs that I hate seeing in a position to impact me in any way. ;)

But it was not a joke, I am sure DirectTV would love it if Dish dropped all sports.

18. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    fud,
    they'd probably wet themselves, but ergen knows this. I would be totally amazed if he ever did this. Too many sports people in the viewing base, he wouldn't take the hit in revenue stream.

19. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Oh, yeah, in spite of my lack of admiration for the guy, he's not that stupid. He just sometimes makes stupid comments. ;)