1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish signal not as good as it used to be?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by exegesis48, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    The signal meter on my dish shows that my signal strength now hovers around 40% on sats 129 and 110. On 119 i get a signal around 70%. Is this normal? And if not, should i get an installer to come out and fix it, or is it something i can do myself fairly easily? Would having an installer come out cost me extra?

2. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    As long as you're not getting frequent drop outs, pixelation, or loss of sound, you should be fine. The latest software for the 622/722 changed the way the signal meter works.

If you are getting any of the above, call dish and tell them to repoint.

3. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    I am getting dropouts and pixelation. Will Dish charge me extra to repoint?

4. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    If it is still within 90 days since your installation...no, no charge.
    If you have DHP, no charge.
    If no DHP, or it has been longer than 90 days, it depends on what caused the sudden change.
    Any blocking/pixelation you're experiencing, has nothing to do with the recent signal strength read-out change in the new software.

5. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    Before calling them out, I'd check your line of sight with the sky and make sure there isn't any trees, leaves, brush etc. blocking the dish. Dish may charge you $50 just to tell you that a tree is blocking the dish and there is nothing they can do.

6. EVAC41

EVAC41 Legend

Jun 27, 2006
    Ummm when I called dish to see if they could come out and realign my dish after a big storm we had. They told me it would cost $25.00 to have a tech come out.

7. n5vkm

n5vkm New Member

May 19, 2006
    Hello All,
    I have fixed my dish a millon times over this year. Signal good on old meter but suck on new meter. I am in McKinney, TX (30 miles North of Dallas, TX.) I get 110 spot 20=80 and 110 spot 29=64 and other 110 trans=56 to 75......and 119 trans 19=80 and trans 8, 6 and others=65-75. I also have a lot more rain and storm drop outs now this year. We have had a lot of rain and storms here in North Texas this year. I hope dish network will look into Sat. signals. I think they are losing signal on the downlink to us dish receives. I think dish need to add pre-amps to LMB or pre-amps to dish receive to help low signal and rain/storm fade.
    Danny U.
    McKinney, TX

8. dartonviper

dartonviper Legend

Mar 10, 2004
    Well, here's the deal. I'm a tech and next to never loose the signal here at my house but when they did the software update on the 625's I loose signal all the time. Not cool.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I understand people need to adjust to the new signal meter... but that in and of itself is not causing signal problems. There is an adjusting period to get used to what is now "peak" on a new system, I understand that... but people are not suddenly getting less signal than before, it is just being measured differently.

Most folks I hear with "rain fade" problems do not have a peaked situation or in a marginal area to begin with that cannot be helped. I only lose signal when the dark black storm clouds are directly in the line of sight... and I do not believe anything will help that scenario. Even cable loses their downlinks during some extreme storms.. and we have seen recently where storms have been strong enough to prevent the uplink from Dish sites so that there is nothing to downlink to us... so some acts of nature just need to be accepted.

10. Ken Green

Ken Green Hall Of Fame

Oct 6, 2005
    You are correct. DHP provides a reduced (now $29.) for in-home service calls.
    TY for the correction :)

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dhpp_warranty/index.shtml

11. dartonviper

dartonviper Legend

Mar 10, 2004
    The dish that I have on the house that I have now has always been 107 on 119 trans, 11 and 98 on 110 trans, 11. I have never lost signal unless there is a wicked storm. Now it can just be sprinkling and I loose it. 119 trans. 11 is now 67 and 110 trans. 11 is 59. Trust me, I understand the new signal meter but it just seems really funny that after that software change is when I noticed the droppage.

12. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It is possible that something has happened (wind knocked you out of alignment, or water leaking into connections) recently causing these problems. I have seen no performance changes since the new signal meter. I see the new/lower numbers, but my picture comes in just as it did before. I think perhaps if you are seeing recent problems it is just an unfortunate coincidence. Might be worth having someone take a look if it becomes more of a problem.

13. DBS Commando

DBS Commando Godfather

Apr 6, 2006
    This "pixelation" happens to me too if I keep the receiver off for a long time (like a few days) or if I get a software update...

I just run a full check switch and the problem seems to fix itself.:confused:

14. exegesis48

exegesis48 Mentor

Aug 8, 2007
    Is there any "efficient" way to tune your satellites to their ideal transponders? I've been fiddling with mine a bit and it's sort of confusing. Do i have to set up each satellite on a separate tuner, or does that even matter? Also the satellites don't seem to retain their transponders as i switch back and forth between satellites trying to figure out the best transponder for each.

15. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    You cannot tune transponders. The receiver does it automatically. Actually the receiver tunes to a channel on a transponder that is set by uplink commands from Dish.

When you go to the Dish Point screen all you are doing is reading the signal levels of various satellite and transponders. You are not changing anything or adjusting anything, just looking at different transponders.

Use those readouts to tweak your dish for optimum performance - that is all they are good for.

If you're getting pixellation on a Dish channel, either your dish is misaligned or your lnb is flakey, run a system info check (Menu-6-1-3) and after it finishes, look at the status block (a). It might say 'check "Details" for lnb' - you may have the dreaded lnb drift syndrome. I do. My 129 lnb is -6 on the even tp's. Probably have to get it replaced soon.

With the new signal levels, as long as you are above 15 (green zone) on the meter, you should get a perfect digital picture. When it drops below that (yellow zone 10-15 maybe), the picture can start to break up and pixellate, below that (red zone) it's gone.

16. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Either your dish has moved because it is poorly installed or after 2 years of drought the trees are finally growing with the rains we have had.:)If your in 75069 you probably have a lot of old trees 70 & 71 are newer developments with smaller trees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.