1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dish signs deal to add Universal Sports

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by BillJ, Feb 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Just noticed this channel in my guide. What is it? All I can think when I see USN is US Navy. Don't think that's it. The programming, beside infomerrcials, seems to be a lot of winter sports.

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Universal Sports Network. My local NBC was using that OTA until just before this started.

3. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Universal Sports Network is free until April 23rd.

4. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    Announced it was coming over a month ago.

5. hoophead

hoophead Godfather

Feb 10, 2008
    Finally for the first time I received email and it was about USN. Only said that it is on CH402. Figured it was HD and after looking found out it is not. Nothing was mentioned in the email about it being free until April 23. I have watched some down hill skiing on that SD version. If they want to have a chance with me, charging for it, it darn well better come across as high definition.

Here is that email
    Dear Dish Network Customer,

DISH is constantly seeking to improve your subscription and is pleased to announce that Universal Sports Network is now included in your Multi-Sport Pack.

Universal Sports is available on channel 402 and is the premier media destination for Olympic, endurance and adventure sports programming. Universal Sports features domestic and international qualifying events for championship and Olympic sports, including track and field, skiing, swimming, gymnastics, cycling, volleyball, marathons, triathlons and rugby.

We also plan on adding even more new content to your Multi-Sport Pack later this year. To keep up to date on our latest channel launches, please visit mydish.com/perks.

Thank you for being a valued DISH customer and please enjoy this new addition to your programming lineup.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    For you, it isn't. Per the email you're getting it as part of the Multi-Sport package. As long as you have Multi-Sport you will continue to get the channel.

7. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    From Multichannel News:

Dish signed a deal with NBC's Universal Sports Network, which was an over-the-air digital subchannel until this year. Universal Sports will be available in the "multisport, international basic and Chinese basic programming packages, beginning April 25. During the interim, Dish is making Universal Sports available to nearly all of its almost 14 million subscribers at no additional charge."

This will also add some of that content to DishOnline for subscribers. For a few more details, mainly what this means to Universal, go read the rest.

8. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    This was announced months ago, the channel was added a few weeks ago. Very old news.

9. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Maybe news is slow getting to Denver. :sure:

10. gpollock87

gpollock87 Legend

Apr 13, 2011
    now its time to add FEARnet

11. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In the interest of accuracy, Universal Sports launched into freeview just five days ago. Uplinking is important but making available is what counts.

12. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I would hope that FEARnet would get a lot more than 300 programs in their library first.

DISH dropped Smithsonian HD at least partially because they had only 100 programs in their library.

13. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    And FEARnet has commercials..

14. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    OK, guys, my face is officially red. That's what I get not watching Universal out of spite. :)

15. gpollock87

gpollock87 Legend

Apr 13, 2011
    one word DVR. lol

16. zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    I am interested in that portion of the e-mail. What other content are they thinking to adding to the Multi-Sport pack later this year? More RSN's? RSN's in HD? Adding other sports channels, such as Tennis Channel or NBC Sports Network to it? I am interested to see where they go with that.