1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish size for Spot Beam fringe reception

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rlamp1, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1 of 23
    rlamp1

rlamp1 New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Any advice on what dish size to use when attempting to receive fringe signals of spot beams?

Thanks!!

2. Jun 4, 2013 #2 of 23
    l'Aucherie

l'Aucherie Cool Member

May 8, 2010
    Satbeams.com shows the footprints of all the spotbeams and the dish sizes required to receive them. By definition, spotbeams are very tightly focused, but spread out to some extent based on the angle to the satellite from your location.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #3 of 23
    AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Some posters who describe their reception location within a spot beam as fringe are not actually located in the authorized DMA, so even if they go with a larger dish, they often will not get the reception of the spotbeam they desire because reception there is corrupted by spillover from other spotbeams of the same transponder that are targeted elsewhere

4. Jun 4, 2013 #4 of 23
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    it depend how far you on the fringe ... why not give us precise location and your DMA ?

5. Jun 4, 2013 #5 of 23
    rlamp1

rlamp1 New Member

Feb 12, 2008
    this is for an RV account so I move quite a bit, thanks for the responses

6. Jun 5, 2013 #6 of 23
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    plot it on a map or use JL's diagrams of all SB by yourself if you like keep your route private :)

7. Jun 5, 2013 #7 of 23
    kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    satbeams.com has footprint maps, and you can click on a location to see what levels are available there.

8. Jun 5, 2013 #8 of 23
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The easy thing to do is to call Dish when you move and have them set you with the locals in that area.

9. Jun 5, 2013 #9 of 23
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Dumb question... if it is an RV account... and you are on the fringe of a spotbeam... wouldn't it be easier to drive the RV to a location better suited to pickup the spotbeam?

1 person likes this.
  10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I would think you vacation based on where you want to go, not where you can get the tv reception you want....

1 person likes this.
  11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    :up:

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Quite right! But for some, where he wants to go is where he can get the TV reception he wants.....

13. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I hear ya... what I was wondering, though... is IF you are on the fringe... rather than fighting that... wouldn't be it easier to move closer inside the spotbeam? The spotbeams usually cover a pretty large area... so I'm not talking move to another city for your vacation... maybe just down the street.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Just a reminder ... RVing is often not a vacation. It can be a full time lifestyle. Sell the home and live on the road.

I certainly would not want to have to choose my locations based on a signal level. DISH's two arcs make it harder to have one dish to pick up each market's locals while traveling. One would need two dishes ... one if parked in an eastern arc location and one if parked in a western arc location. If one RV'd primarily in the west a single dish aimable for western arc should be fine, (With a western arc dish one would not be able to get local HD in eastern arc locations without a second dish.)

Most spot beams cover their entire market but some of the western markets are huge and fringes exist. But there should not be a need for a special larger dish. It just needs to be aimed properly.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, I said "vacation" but I meant to include the full-time RV-ers too... I was basically getting at what you said... the spotbeams are usually over a fairly large area... and while a person in a stationary home has to put up a larger dish if he lives on the fringe... someone in an RV has the option of moving the RV closer inside the spotbeam location. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about RV-ing... but I was just thinking it might be easier to move into the spotbeam from the fringe than to come up with a special setup.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    I would take 3m dish with my RV ( now, where is the money to buy it ?! :) )

17. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    A 3 meter dish is a 10ft dish where do you mount that on a RV?

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    outside... having it my own wood stand and split it for 4 segments on a road ...

19. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I'd have 3 - 3m dishes, one for each satellite, on their own trailer pulled behind my 5th wheel. :listening

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    pictures, please :)