1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish Snatches "H" Block Spectrum

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Mar 4, 2014.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2067233-dish-network-sweeps-h-block-spectrum-auction-for-1_56-billion?source=google_news

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    :)

I hope they use at least part of the bandwidth for streamed video. Imagine a "DISH Network" phone where one could watch subscription and on demand television - anywhere. They are not far from that using other carrier's networks (and their customer's data plans). A phone with content from their satellite carriage contracts would be a good deal.

3. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Whatever they're going to do with all that spectrum they need to figure it out. The government won't just let them sit on it forever.

4. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I'm sure they have a plan, good or bad, you do not spend that kind of money and then wonder what to do with the purchase.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I think you've identified Charlie's secret plan, particularly based upon the Disney deal. It also relates to the recent Netflix deal with Comcast. Simply you cannot expect other ISP's to allow video streaming without offsetting compensation as it chews up capacity. Bandwidth is gold relative to TV internet streaming packages envisioned in the Disney deal. I don't know about a Dish Network phone, but it does relate somehow.

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I'm thinking more of a WISP type setup. Set-top box type modem, one per house to feed the LAN, ROKU on steroids type thing.

Ideally, they could mail the boxes out for self-install without needing tech visits. Maybe some would need an optional outdoor antenna that would also be self-install.

Not sure how they would distribute the signal though. Maybe acquire space on some cell towers or other radio towers.