1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish tech chat - what a waste of time

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Andy74, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Andy74

Andy74 Mentor

Nov 25, 2005
    So we recently got Dish for the 2nd time (I thought I could cut the cord, but the kids wanted Nick)...
    Anyway, we had very high winds in Chicago area today.

I come home, dish shows complete signal loss. I used to install these things in late 1990s, so I started troubleshooting. Sat input 2 on my 722 shows complete signal loss. Input 2 - Reception Verified.

I swapped Dish separator, since I had a spare - same issue.

I get on dish chat. I describe the problem exactly to the point.
    After 30 minutes, he's asking me if my TV is on and if I have an amplifier.
    At this point I didn't want to waste another 30 minutes.... It's friday night and I have kids.

Then he asked if I can press "TV VCR" button on my remote. Yeah, VCR button.

At this point I didn't want to waste another 30 minutes.... It's friday night and I don't want to explain to some tech guy that VCR buttons are long gone.

The dish tech support is pathetic. If I didn't have a commitment with them, I'd be gone today.

Sorry for the vent.

2. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    How much snow in the dish?

3. satinstallerguy

satinstallerguy New Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Cleveland
    Your 722 tuner 2 is probably shot........ DIsh RX's are junk........

SIG

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The button is labeled "TV/VIDEO" ... or on the Hopper remotes "INPUT". Just a slip of the tongue.
    And no, if you can see your receiver's menus that button would not help.

6. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    I have always had very good luck using chat mode to contact DISH with a problem. Now, phone is where I run into problems, but when it comes to DIRT they are the best, however it is sometimes difficult to contact one when you need one right now. I would agree that the 722K is a pretty good receiver when I had one!

7. Andy74

Andy74 Mentor

Nov 25, 2005
    Agree, I was agrevated yesterday and not getting anywhere with . I just ran check switch this morning - all inputs seem to be getting signal. Must have been the snow.

8. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    so it turns out you had snow on your dish. Well let's hope you didn't take it out on the agent since they were only trying to do their job and help.

9. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Just FYI, might be worth it to pay the cancel fee (typically $17.50/mth for each month remaining in agreement, at last check) and move on. If you like sat, go with D*.

-=K=-

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    To be fair... yes, there are good and bad CSRs... and some follow a script too closely even when it doesn't apply to a specific customer scenario... but they also don't know how qualified you are, how much sat-specific knowledge you have, or if you are telling them the truth either. Consider... you apparently had snow in the area, and didn't seem to mention that, and apparently didn't check/clear the dish of snow in your troubleshooting. So... not attacking you any more than the CSR here, but how is the CSR going to know snow on the dish was your problem if you didn't check that yourself?

1 person likes this.
  11. Rduce

Rduce Legend

May 15, 2008
    Specially if you enjoy exorbitantly high prices once you have gotten past the 12 month scam price.

12. Andy74

Andy74 Mentor

Nov 25, 2005
    Don't agree with this statement - it took dish agent over 30 minutes from joining the chat to responding with suggestions that were not very useful; most lkely they handle tens of chats at the same time; they're unable to respond in a targeted, timely manner.

In any case, the issue with 2nd input reappeared Sunday afternoon, I called my local installer, he came out this morning, swapped LNB at my cost and the receiver is now working again. Less hassle this way.

Actually my first point after starting the chat was that we had very high winds and that one satellite input is not getting a reception. I don't expect the CSRs to determine how qualified customers are; but 30 minutes into the chat and we're still on "press tv/video or input" button - then this chat is not accomplishing it's results.

Also, I wasn't 'impolite' until the end. I just made it clear that 30 minutes of general button pressing was all I could take.