1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dish to directv, best deals

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mikec73, Oct 25, 2010.

1. mikec73

mikec73 AllStar

May 4, 2005
    I currently have dish and am thinking of going back to directv since they now have updated their receivers and seem to offer more now. What are the best deals for getting directv? I know sams club has $10 monthly credits depending on membership type. I have Att dsl and cell phone, they have discounts.

What I have: 2 vip722 receivers serving 3 tvs. 1st on living rm dlp tv set to single mode. 2nd in master bed on 32in lcd set to dual mode serving a 20in lcd in second bedrm via coax.
    1st 722 is connected to internet.

What I would like: MRV setup Hr24 for living rm h24 for master and r22 or h24 for second rm.

I know they give the first 2 free but I would like all 3 free.
    they will give a free standard rec for 2nd rm but that wouldnt be whole house dvr would it? My idea of whole house is all 3 not 2 out of 3. I got both 722s free from dish, d* should be able to do the same.
    Any help?
    I read that d*s internet app for dvr setting can't manage like dish's, is that true. Dishs app is easy to browse set and see whats currently on the dvr and delete old shows. better than the box itself.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The problem is former DirecTV customers won't necessarily get the same deals they are giving to new customers. You'd need to call them to find out what you can get.

Currently the web and smartphone apps can only set recordings or order PPV. The other functions may come later, but not there now.

3. WingNut

WingNut AllStar

Sep 18, 2006
    No. In order for a room to be part of the MRV, it must have an HD box.

All you can do is ask. I would probably call them up and say you are thinking about switching, but not 100% sure. Then say you'll sign up today if you can throw the 3rd H24 in for free. See if they bite. They say no, tell them thanks but no thanks. It may get escalated to someone who will do it for you.

You are correct. Dish's app / online deal was better. Not a deal breaker for me.

4. mchouse

mchouse Mentor

Apr 2, 2007
    Typically if you haven't been a Directv customer for more than 2 years you would get the new customer deals . I switched back after being gone four years and got the new customer deal no problem ..

5. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    Better deal yet for all you Qwest customers. If you have Qwest and bundle DirectV your bill for DirectV will go down an additional $ 5 per package that you sign up for. $ 39-5=$ 34 this is for 12 Months. So Qwest customers may want to bundle if they are going to sign up for DirectV.

6. mikec73

mikec73 AllStar

May 4, 2005
    thanks for the responses,
    att offers a $5 discount too. but Sams gives $10 for 4 or 12 months depending on membership. is it possible to get both or bundle later?
    I havent had directv for 4-5 years. All my old boxes were branded rca, hughes, sony, and a Tivo. (I went through a couple of the directivos. Dont think they were built that good!) I do get the occasional "we want you back" letter
    I understand the r22s work with mrv, would it be possible to get a deal on one of those. Do they charge the same for them as a h24?

7. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    I don't think that Sams Club will give you both the new sign up discounts from DirectV and there (Sams) discount at the same time. I believe Sams discount is off the regular price.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I bundled with AT&T and Directv and saved alot and also if you get AutoPay you can get Free HD.