1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Dish To Offer IP Based Service Without The Dish?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Mar 5, 2014.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Cross posted from the Disney thread. Reading further it looks like this could be very interesting if the pricing is competitive.

http://triblive.com/business/headlines/5703932-74/dish-service-deal

2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I hope we can get credit for singing up new subscribers to this service like we can now for the "traditional" service. I know some now at work who only used streaming for his TV (outside of the locals which he gets OTA).

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Don't tell anyone over in the Disney thread where I'm expressing what I think we've lost in the Disney agreement, but this side of the agreement may be a positive because I'm only a few years away from our redwood trees effectively blocking access to the Dish satellites (they already block the DirecTV satellites).

This might give me an alternative to Xfinity TV, albeit they are a long way from having agreements in place with all the media content companies. Of course, right at the moment the only way I could get it is through my Xfinity (Comcast) ISP. I'll be following this plan carefully.

4. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    One idle and trivial thought crossed my mind. Too bad Dish is no longer Echostar. Somehow having internet TV service from Dish just doesn't sound as exotic or descriptive as it would have been using a dishless service from Echostar, which somehow sounds like the name of a Disney movie.

5. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Who knows, they may run it under Echostar or create a new name like they did for the satellite ISP. Or they may run it under that name.

I just hope they don't take the "who live in apartment buildings," bit too seriously. I'd rather they focus on providing alternative cover to rural areas via a WISP type service with all that spectrum they've gobbled up.